You may be in the middle of planning for your home, and to avoid the hassles of repairs in the future, it’s definitely a great idea to find out what the best material is for the details of your home. If you’re looking to find the best type of exterior wood for your home, whether it be the front exterior or exterior sliding doors, here are some tips to help you out:
- Know the available types of wood. There are many different types of wood that are typically used for constructing a home’s exterior. The type of wood used mostly depends on which part of the exterior it is: for example, exterior entry and doors could be made of woods such as cherry, red or white oak, walnut, teak, soft maple, or mahogany.
- Know the different characteristics of wood. Read up on the attributes of different wood, to let you gauge for the practicality of its long-term use. For example, Mahogany is known for its strength and durability, though it’s relatively more expensive. The preferred type of mahogany is usually Honduras Mahogany. White oak is found to be resistant to weather and rotting. Spanish Cedar is even more rot-resistant, is very durable, and is very low-maintenance. Red oak is more recommended for interiors.
- Know the effects of painting and varnishing on the wood. Exterior wood for the home usually are usually higher-maintenance than other material, and they need to be painted and varnished to make it look its best, and to help avoid warping. That’s why it’s important to know what the effect of varnishing will be on your wood type of choice. For example, Mahogany is one of the most popular wood choices, since it stains well (due to its even graining). White oak has wide grain spacing, which look great when varnished. Cherry has unique swirl patterns, and its color usually darkens as the years go by. Spanish Cedar has even graining that is highlighted by varnish and stains.
- Consider its effect with other materials. For decoration purposes, you may consider decorating the exterior with exterior glass and fiberglass. If you’re looking into exterior doors, for example, why not have it installed with etched glass or decorative glass for a classy and traditional look. Apart from its effect with other materials, choose also other important details; if you’re looking into exterior doors, for example, consider whether to have it in-swing (door that opens in), out-swing (door that opens out), or sliding wood.
- Read up on paint and stain techniques. It may do you good to have some idea on which paint and stain techniques are most commonly done, so you could choose the best style for you. Some topics you may want to learn more about include how to apply wood finishes, discoloration problems, moisture impact on paint, and the use of solid-color stains versus semi-transparent or clear and lightly tinted stains. For more information on these topics, check out inspectapedia.com
There you have it! These are just some of the ways to find the best type of exterior wood for your home. Just remember, the exterior of your house would be the first to set the ambience of your home, so it’s definitely a good idea to weigh your options carefully for you to make the best decorating choices. Good luck!