One of the most common house problems is a leaky pipe. When a leaky pipe is not fixed, it can cause bigger problems, such as flooding. Also, the sound of water dripping from a pipe can be annoying. Calling the plumber should be the last option for you when you have this type of problem. To save money, you should try to fix the pipe leak by yourself first. There are some common pipe problems that you can fix on your own.
Here are the steps for fixing a leaky pipe by yourself:
1. Materials. First, you can gather all the materials that you need to fix the leaky pipe. You will need:
- epoxy or putty
- duct tape or electrical tape
- hose clamps
2. Check for leakage. The first thing you have to do is to check where the leak is. The leak can be from a hole on the pipe or on one of the pipe connections. When you have already located where the leak is coming from, close the main valve of the water.
3. Disassemble and drain. The next thing you have to do is to disassemble the pipes to drain the water left inside. Remember that you have to remove all of the remaining water inside the pipes before you can start repairing the leak. You can disassemble the pipes using a wrench. You can use the hose clamps if there are any problems in the pipe valves. All you have to do is make sure that the hose clamps secure the pipes.
4. Quick fixes. If the cause of the leak is not that big, you can fix it with epoxy or duct tape. If you are going to use duct tape, make sure to wrap multiple layers to ensure that the pipe will no longer leak. For pipe joints that you can’t use a clamp on, you can use epoxy instead. Although some brands of epoxy can be used even on wet surfaces, it is better to make sure that the pipe is clean and dry before applying epoxy. Place a good amount of epoxy on the leak and mold it properly.
5. Check your work. When the epoxy is dry, you can check whether you have already fixed the leak. Open the main valve of the water and see if there are still any leaks along the pipes. Make sure that there are no leaks anywhere by looking at the entire length of the pipe and not just the area that you repaired.
These are the steps for fixing a pipe leak. If you are dealing with slab leaks and cannot fix the pipes on your own, you can try an emergency plumbing service, as you may need a pipe replacement. Another thing you can use is a leak detector so that you can be alerted whenever there are leaks in your home. Leak detectors can be very useful devices, especially if you do not spend a lot of time at home.