If you can’t close your refrigerator doors, know that it’s important to have them fixed right away. That’s because open refrigerator doors cause unnecessary additional electricity expenditures. So if you have uneven refrigerator doors, here are some of great tips to help you out:
- Unplug the refrigerator. This is a safety precaution to ensure that you won’t get yourself electrocuted while doing repairs. By the way, you should make sure to do this first step for every appliance that you fix.
- Check to see if there is something in the refrigerator that hinders the refrigerator doors from closing. First of all, check to see if the root of the problem is merely something that is blocking the closing of your refrigerator doors. In this case, there’s no repair that needs to be done; simply adjust the food containers in your refrigerator so they’re not sticking out and blocking the doors from closing.
- Check to see if the refrigerator is unbalanced. One of the probable causes for the refrigerator doors being uneven is that one side is lower than the other. If this is the case, you can remedy this problem by tilting the refrigerator back and inserting a cushion underneath the lower side. The cushion should be of the appropriate height to remedy the problem. You can use a small folded piece of newspaper for this purpose. Do remember this: never attempt to tilt back the refrigerator yourself, as this can cause serious back injuries if you overstrain yourself. Make sure that you enlist the help of at least two people during this process.
- Check the hinges. If the problem doesn’t lie with the positioning of the refrigerator but with the refrigerator doors themselves, you might need to adjust the hinges. Another probable cause is that the hinges are too loose. This is another problem with a relatively easy solution: simply get a screwdriver, and tighten the loose screws on the hinges. Hold the door to its proper position, and adjust the screws until the door is steadily in place.
- Know when to contact a professional repairman. The above tips describe the solutions to common causes of uneven refrigerator doors, but if they don’t work in your situation, it’s best that you leave the repairs to the professionals. Check to see if the refrigerator is still under warranty, and have it serviced by a professional. Take the time to actively watch the repairman while he solves the problem, so that next time you encounter the same problem, you would know what to do.
There you have it! These are just some of the easy solutions to fix uneven refrigerator doors. Remember, these steps can be done easily even by someone who’s not that comfortable doing repairs. As mentioned, however, it’s also important to know when it’s time to contact a professional to undertake repairs. After all, it’s worth it in the end to have a professional do the repairs if it means you’d certainly get the result that you want. Good luck, and hope this helped you out!