Local weather forecasting has been in demand these days due to recent global weather phenomenon and unusual conditions. The effects of global warming and other environmental disasters have led many people to become aware of their local weather conditions. Thanks to modern technology, the general public can have easy access to their local weather forecast. The ways to get local weather forecasts are listed below:
- The local newspaper. Everyday, local broadsheets and tabloids provide the daily weather forecast for the general public. It includes standard weather readings for local areas, as well as neighboring cities and towns. The weather forecasts from the newspapers may include geographical maps, temperature, precipitation, tide measurements, times of sunrises and sunsets, and the phases of the moon. They may also feature global cities to compare with.
- The television. Local weather forecasts can be seen on televisions, traditionally, as segments on news programs. But unlike the local newspaper, the television provides a more visual approach in forecasting the weather. Most TV weather reports include a real-time satellite image of a map with visual effects. Also, some weather forecasts include a variety of creativeness - a speck of random trivia, a beautiful weather girl, and more. There are even some weather report styles that include nudity.
- The radio. The radio media is the most comprehensive form of weather forecasting. Though it is not visual like the newspaper and the TV, it is more reliable because it is more updated, is delivered to the public in real time and is more portable than other forms of media. During times of heavy flooding or electricity outages, the radio is the most dependable medium. Weather forecasts on radio can be heard even at the farthest point of the globe, because there are radio signals everywhere. Radio weather forecasts can also be heard in a car, on a mobile phone, or through a portable radio where power plugs are not required.
- The Internet. The Internet is the most modern of all weather forecast media. It is a combination of the real time delivery of the radio, the visual presentation of the TV and the accessibility of the print media. Most weather forecasting Internet sites provide on-time weather forecasts, but they also differ with some unique features. Some sites can even provide ultraviolet index reports to prepare the public for eye and skin protection.
- Other media. The first four media listed above are the most traditional providers of local weather forecasts. But actually there are still lots of other media sources for getting a local weather report. The local governments, for instance, provide various awareness services to their people within their area to prepare for a weather disturbance. Private sector companies also provide weather updates through short messaging services on mobile phones. Some calendars may also be considered as other media because they may include schedules of moon phases, sunsets and sunrises, and the tide measurements.
Local weather forecasts are necessary especially for those who are living in areas of greater concerns like low lying areas, coastal communities and mountainous villages. It is everybody's responsibility and task to know the weather. We may not exactly predict and control the weather, but correct and up to date information can help us prepare and protect our properties and our lives.