Molds are not only incredibly disgusting, they can also cause health problems such as allergies, irritation, and infection. Therefore, once you see this uninvited guest resting quietly in any of your wood furniture, there is nothing else to do but to get rid of that wood mold.
However, the question here is how you can do this. Since this does not often happen to your furniture, dealing with it is really a challenge. But there’s no room for worries anymore. Check out these guidelines on how you can be a mold killer this time.
Wood Mold Elimination
Once you see a mold forming in any of your furniture, it is a must to do all means to remove it as soon as possible. This is because molds can spread and cause more damage to your home. However, keep in mind that you need extra care in eliminating molds because they can release particles that can be dangerous to your health. Here are some tips on getting rid of these things for a mold killer like you:
- Fix any moisture problems first before addressing the molds in the wood.
- Always make sure that you wear a respirator or a mask, gloves, and coveralls when trying to eliminate the molds.
- For sensitive moldy furniture and documents, make use of a mold cleaner that is strong enough to be a mold remover but gentle enough not to hurt or destroy any of the furniture. Also, it is a good idea to get a mold cleaner that does not have chlorine or other harsh chemicals for your health and environment safety.
- Though there are times that you can't see any mold formation in the wood's surface, there can be invisible mold. In this case, an air purifier and deodorizer is the best mold remover. The vapors from these cleaners can permeate the air as well as the surrounding surfaces. As a result, molds and mold spores are cleaned wherever they are.
- Though it is often attested that bleach mixed in water is an effective mold remover, it is not advisable to use this on a large patch of wood for health and environmental reasons.
Wood Mold Prevention
Surely, you don’t want to ever see molds again on your wood furniture right after you experienced the musty mold smell, unsightly spots, and health risks they can bring. In this case, you need to know the things that you can do to get rid of these fungi forever. Here are some guidelines:
- Keep all the wooden items in your home dry all the time. As you know, molds grow on wet products. If you keep your furniture dry, there is no possibility that molds can grow in them.
- Make use of a dehumidifier to keep your home dry. In this case, no moisture can form in any of your furniture.
- When wooden furniture gets wet, let it dry as quickly as possible.
- Give extra care to your furniture, especially those in the garden, during rainy season.
- Apply waterproof coating to all the surface of your wood products.
So now, it is already clear to you on why you need to keep wood mold as your enemy. Make sure all of your wood furniture is mold-free all the time. This way, you not only get rid of the mold smell and the bad sight. You also invest one important thing for the health of everyone at home.