Black mold is a greenish mold that prospers in moist conditions. Even if it is not fatally toxic, it can cause either minor irritation such as sneezing or nasal irritation, itching red or irritated skin, watery eyes, head ache and cough. In extreme cases, you may have an increased risk of lung infection, nausea, nosebleeds, skin rashes or sores, loss of appetite and weight, swollen glands, ear infections and breathing disorders such as bronchitis and asthma. It releases mycotoxins, small molecules produced by the metabolism of mold that can be dangerous to plants, animals and humans. Identifying and preventing black molds are far better than eliminating it. Here is how:
- The most common sign of black molds at home is a musty smell. Molds can appear as white, greenish or black spots anywhere in your house. The major areas for black mold growth are places in your home that have either had a water leak or preserved elevated quantity of moisture. It is also important to check your basements, crawl spaces, laundry rooms, bathrooms, and kitchens because these are common sites at home where black molds are susceptible to rapidly develop. Be aware of water-damaged areas because there is a high probability for the signs of black molds.
- Places that harbor humid flooring may have mold on moldings wherein the floor meets the walls. It is good to look carefully for the dark black patches of molds on walls. Black molds may begin to sneak its way up, infiltrating more of the drywall and base area. Remember that even the dried black mold is capable of spreading spores that can reproduce anywhere at home.
- Always remember that black molds often develop in a perfect pattern and is non deviant unless it reaches areas that has shortage in moisture. Inspect the black molds to see if it grows in a circular pattern. It may appear greasy on the outer part of wet wall. Moreover, it is dry and grimy on sites that were already moist. Take note that rings of mold are also good indications that the mold is black.
- You can actually observe if ever the black molds already start festering your home. Skin irritations, sinus problems, congestions and fatigue among your household members can all be symptoms of black mold problem. It is also a precursor if someone in your family appears to have difficulty in recovering from cold or allergies or any chronic ailments affecting their respiratory system. If black molds are found and wiped out, the signs of its health threat to your family will subside. Of course, some of the symptoms might be from a variety of things but the main point is that it could help to make you more sensitive if there is an existing black mold problem at home.
- It is always best to consult a licensed home inspector who can verify if you have a black mold at home. The home inspector can exactly detect a black mold problem by having a thorough inspection of different areas of your house, including your carpeting, ceiling tiles and floorboards. Seek the help of the inspector regarding tips on fighting the black molds.
Identifying black molds at home can give you all the good benefits of ensuring good health to your household members as well as becoming stricter with regard to proper maintenance of cleanliness in your house. It goes with the saying that prevention is always better than cure. Keep free of the different risks from irritation and allergies. A home is a place to be safe, relaxed and happy. Don’t let black molds pester you.