A dimmer switch is nice to have at your home if you have many uses for a room in your house. You can brighten the lights when you are reading, studying or doing some family activities and you can dim the lights if you want to relax by the fireplace or if you are eating a romantic dinner by candlelight. The dimmer is something you can rely on to set the mood in your home. Installing a dimmer switch for a track lighting system is quite easy. You do not have to ask help from a technician in order to do this. Read and follow the steps that are provided below to know how you can install a dimmer switch for a track lighting system.
Here are the steps that you can follow if you want to install a dimmer switch for a track lighting system:
- Materials. The materials you will need are a screwdriver and the dimmer switch. You can purchase the dimmer switch from the hardware store or lighting store near you. Make sure that the dimmer switch you purchase is compatible to your lighting system. You can also purchase a dimmer switch online. Visit the website dimmers.net. They have all sorts of dimmers and you will surely find the type that you are looking for.
- Preparation. Before you start to install the dimmer switch, turn off the main power supply of your house. Do not just switch off the lights. It is best to switch off the circuit breaker entirely so that there is no risk of getting electrocuted while you are installing the dimmer switch for your track lighting system.
- Remove old switch. Use the screwdriver to remove the cover plate on your light switch. Set it aside together with the screws. Gently remove the old switch so that you can see the wires underneath. Remove the wire nuts that are protecting the end of the wires. Count the number of wires that you see from the old switch. This number should match the wires that you have on your dimmer switch. If not, you might need to replace the dimmer switch that you have.
- Install the dimmer switch. Install the dimmer switch by putting it in the place of the old switch. Connect the wires and place them properly inside the wall. Cover the dimmer switch and screw the cover plate in place using screws and the screwdriver.
- Test the dimmer. After the installation, go to your circuit breaker and switch on the power in your house again. Test to see if the dimmer switch works. If it does not work, you might have missed a wire. Check the installation again.
These are the steps that you have to follow if you want to know how to install a dimmer switch for a track lighting system. Think of how much money you can save by doing simple installation procedures on your own. You can also do your own lighting repairs, installation of ceiling fans and other simple jobs.