Relaxing in a bathtub after a long day at work is a good stress reliever. You can put some bath oils or bubbles and put some music to calm down. If you do not have a bathtub in your bathroom yet, you can easily install a drop-in bathtub. A drop-in bathtub is different from the standard bathtub since it is placed or ‘dropped in’ a frame that supports it unlike other bathtubs wherein it is connected directly to the bathroom floors and walls. Read and follow the directions provided below to know how to install a drop-in bathtub.
Here are the steps that you need to follow if you want to install a drop-in bathtub:
- Materials. The materials that you need to install a drop-in bathtub are the frame for the tub, the drop-in bathtub, cement, bathtub fixtures and a plastic sheet.
- Get location measurements. Get the measurements of the area where you are going to position your bathtub. You need to get the right measurement so that you can have the right frame built or you may just purchase the same size of bathtub frame if there is one available. Do this before you go and purchase a drop-in bathtub and frame for your bathroom.
- Have the frame built. Make the bathtub frame in the location that you have chosen. The frame should be slightly bigger than the bathtub so that it can accommodate the entire tub when you ‘drop’ it in the frame. Place the drop-in bathtub in the frame. You have to do this so that you can make your guide on where to place the bathtub fixtures. Use a pencil to mark the areas where the knobs and the faucet will be.
- Drill holes and install fixtures. Remove the drop-in bathtub from the frame and drill holes on the marks for the plumbing fixtures. Then, you can already install the plumbing fixtures.
- Install the drop-in bathtub. Add cement to the flooring and walls of the frame. Then, lay the plastic sheet over the cement. Allow it to set for a few minutes. Now you can place the drop-in bathtub into the frame.
- Finishing. Now that the drop-in bathtub is in place, make sure that it is level. You can finish the bathtub by putting some tiles on the frame of the bathtub. Wait for the cement on the drop-in bathtub to completely dry before you test your new bathtub.
These are the steps that you can follow if you want to install a drop-in bathtub in your bathroom. You may need help from someone when you do this since the bathtub is heavy. You will be able to work more quickly if someone can help you. This is one activity that you can do by yourself instead of hiring a plumber to do the work for you. By doing it yourself, you are sure about the quality of work and you will also be saving a lot of money in the process.