Wainscoting is also known as wood paneling. However, these panels can also be made out of other firm materials. These are grooves on the wall that are mostly seen in common areas such as the living room, dining room or kitchen. Wainscoting on a room can make it look elegant. Flat chair rails can be put on top or at the bottom of the wainscoting in order to finish the look. This serves a decorative purpose but it was initially used as a barrier between the wall and a chair, thus the name chair rail. You can install a flat chair rail on wainscoting by following the simple steps provided below.
Here are the steps that you can follow if you want to install a flat chair rail on wainscoting:
- Determine the height. Determine the height of the flat chair rail that will be resting on top of the wainscoting. The height is usually up to waist level but it is completely up to you. They usually use heights ranging from 24 to 48 inches. Use a pencil and measuring tape to measure the height on the walls of the room. Use a level to see if your measurements are aligned throughout the room.
- Cut the flat chair rail. The next step is to cut the flat chair rail according to the length that you need for each side of the room. If you find that your flat chair rail is not long enough for the length of one side of the room, what you can do is cut 45-degree angle pieces and connect them together when you are installing.
- Put in some studs. The studs are what you will use to secure the chair rail on the wall. Again, use your pencil to mark where the studs will be. Leave equal spaces in between the studs for uniformity. It might be better to leave smaller spaces in between the studs so you are sure that the flat chair rails will stay in place.
- Install the flat chair rail. Now you can install the flat chair rail on the wainscoting. Start on one part of the room and work your way around until you reached the part where you started. Make sure that you hammer in the finishing nails well so that your paneling will appear flawless.
- Paint. You have the option to paint the wainscoting and the flat chair rail. You can use same colors for both these components or use different colors to form a contrast and to make the room more interesting.
These are the steps that you have to follow if you want to install a flat chair rail on wainscoting. The steps are quite easy to follow if you have a little background in woodworking and constructing. When you are working, you might want to use work gloves to avoid getting small splinters of wood in your hands. There are many different types of chair rails that you can use for your home.