Floating shelves are a good idea to have in small spaces where you need plenty of storage for different items. Floating shelves are mounted on the wall that makes them seem that they are floating. This is ideal for living rooms, home libraries, home offices or even your bedroom. The installation process for a floating shelf is quite easy. You do not need to hire a carpenter to do the job for you. If you want to install a floating shelf in your home, follow the instructions that are provided below.
Here are the instructions that you can follow if you want to install a floating shelf in your home:
- Materials. The materials that you need for making the floating shelf are the floating shelves, level, a pencil, drill, measuring tape, screwdriver, graphing paper and a stud finder. You can get these from your local hardware store.
- Measure. The first thing you have to do is to plan where you will place the floating shelves. Measure how long you want the shelves to extend. You should also determine the space you will leave on top and at the bottom of the shelves. It is good to have an idea on the items that you will be placing there so that you can gauge the right height. Use the graphing paper for your planning.
- Place markings. Use the pencil, a measuring tape and the level to place some markings on the wall where you will install the shelves. After placing the markings, go to the other end of the room to see if the markings are straight.
- Use stud finder. Get your stud finder and use it to look for the studs on the wall. You will have to do this if you are planning to put items on the shelf that are quite heavy such as encyclopedias, statues, trophies, etc. Mark the places where there are studs.
- Drill holes. Drill some holes on the markings that you have created earlier while looking for the studs. This is where you will screw in the floating shelves. Make sure that you drill enough holes to support the entire length of the floating shelves.
- Attach the brackets. Attach the brackets using the drill and bits. Start on one end and work your way through the length of the shelves. When you are done, you can already start putting items on your floating shelf. Just make sure that the shelf can accommodate the weight of the items.
These are the steps that you can follow if you want to install a floating shelf in your home. You also have the option to paint the floating shelves in a different color so that it can pop out in the room and provide some contrast. Another thing you can do is style the shelves to create a design with the floating shelves so that you do not have the shelves in a straight line. Use your imagination to create something useful and unique.