If you are into arts and crafts or carpentry and you need a workbench where you can do your activities, you can create one by yourself. A good workbench to have is the fold-down workbench so that you can easily store it when it is not in use. This is also ideal if you have a small space in your home or work area. Read and follow the instructions provided below to know how you can install a fold-down workbench by yourself.
Here are the steps that you can follow if you want to install a fold-down work bench:
- Materials. The materials that you need if you want to install a fold-down work bench are plywood, 4 pieces of 3x4 inch boards, 2 pairs of hood and eye and 4 hinges. You can find all of these from your local hardware store.
- Choose a location. Choose a location where you want to install the fold-down work bench. You can put it in your work area or garage. The ideal place to put the fold-down work bench is behind a door or a wall. It may be best to choose a wall so that you will not be disturbed when someone passes through the door.
- Decide on size. Once you have a location, decide on the size of the fold-down workbench that you want. Choose the height and the length of the surface of the table. Mark these measurements with a pencil.
- Cut plywood. Cut the plywood according to the measurement that you want for the surface of the table. After cutting the plywood, place it on the location where you will put the fold-down table to see if it will not hit the wall when folded down from the height of the table.
- Cut boards. The next step is to cut the boards according to the height of the table that you want. The boards are the legs of the table. You can choose to use only 2 legs or you can also use 4 legs for the table. If you are planning on putting heavy items on the workbench while doing some activities, it is better to use 4 legs for additional support.
- Install hinges and hooks. Assemble the surface of the table and the legs of the table so that you can already put the hinges. Use the hinges on the legs of the table and mount it on the wall. Afterwards, fold the table down to see where you have to position the hook and eye. The hook and eye serves as the mount for the table when you are not using it. Install the hook and eye and you are done.
These are the steps that you have to follow if you want to install a fold-down workbench in your home. You can also install a fold-down bench in a child’s room to make a small study area. Making your own fold-down bench is quite easy. You do not have to hire a carpenter to do the job for you and this will save you some money.