Adding a gate latch on your wood fence is a security measure that you can do in order to keep people and stray animals out of your property. These gate latches also help keep your wood fence shut when the winds are strong. You can easily install a gate latch on a wood fence by yourself. Just follow the simple step-by-step instructions that are provided below.
Here are the instructions that you can follow to install a gate latch on a wood fence:
- Purchase a gate latch. Gate latches come in different sizes and designs. Check your wood fence to know the appropriate size of gate latch you will need. You can go to your local hardware store to purchase a gate latch or visit the website hooverfence.com. They have different types of latches such as the thumb latch, adjustable gravity latch, split rail loop latch and many more.
- Mark the placement of latch. Get a pencil so that you can put a mark on your wood fence for the location of the latch. Get your latch set and place it on the wood fence where you want it to be. It is best to position the latch a few inches below the top of the fence so that you can still access it when you are on the other side of the fence. Use your pencil to mark the screw holes on the latch.
- Install the lock latch. The lock latch is the piece where there is a lever that you can slide from side to side to lock the door. This is the piece that you will install first. Use a screwdriver to install the screws while the lock latch is in place. Make sure that you screw the lock latch on tightly so that the only piece that moves is the lever. Test the lock latch to make sure.
- Install the latch arm. The next piece to install is the latch arm. Screw the latch arm in according to the markings that you did earlier. Make sure that it will not budge when you try and move it. Also, check to see if the hole on the latch arm is aligned with the lock latch so that it will go in smoothly when you lock your fence.
- Test the latch. After installation, test the latch to see if it works smoothly. Lock it from the inside and slide the lever from side to side to see if it operates smoothly. Test it too while you are positioned outside the fence to see if you can easily open the fence while on the other side. If the latch does not operate smoothly, you might have to adjust one of the pieces and make sure that they are properly aligned.
These are the steps that you can follow if you want to install a gate latch on a wood fence. The steps are really easy to follow and you do not have to hire help in doing it. Install a gate latch on every entrance or exit on your wood fence to ensure maximum security.