Hand water pumps were used in the olden days in order to get water from an underground source. The hand water pump is rarely used these days but it is a great addition to a garden if you want to achieve a country look. You can turn the hand water pump into a fountain. Doing this is really easy. You just need a few materials. Read and follow the instructions provided below to understand how you can install a hand water pump fountain on your garden.
Here are the step-by-step instructions on how you can install a hand water pump fountain on your garden:
- Materials you'll need. You will need several materials for the installation of the hand water pump fountain. The materials you need are a concrete pad, fountain pump with tubing, half barrels, drill, circular saw, 5 pieces of 4x4 posts, concrete slabs, concrete mix, post hole digger, a level, tape measure, plywood, nails, hammer, a staple gun, scissors, pond liner, silicone caulk and the old hand pump.
- Determine the right location. Determine where you want to put the fountain. Choose a location where you can easily plug in the fountain to an electrical outlet. You will also need plenty of space depending on how big you want the fountain to be.
- Preparation steps. Get a concrete slab and place it on the ground where you are going to install the fountain. Make sure it is straight by using a level. Get one of your half barrels and place it on the corner of the concrete. Use the other half barrel on the other side. Drill some holes on the front top and back of the barrel. The hole should fit in the fountain tubing. Saw a ‘V’ shape on the top of the barrel since this is where the water from the fountain will fall.
- Installation steps. Use the post hole digger to dig 5 holes that are about 4 inches deep. This will be your guide. Stake four poles on each corner and one at the middle. Mix some concrete and fill the holes with it. Wait for the concrete to dry. This may take a few hours. Use the square guide that you have formed to saw some plywood that you will install on top of the square frame. Use some nails to secure it in place.
- Install the fountain. Use pond liner at the bottom of each half barrel. Slit the pond liner and use some silicone caulk on the edge of the slit to prevent any leaks. Position the hand pump on the frame. Install the tubing and the fountain mechanism in the barrels according to the instructions that came with your fountain set. Plug the fountain on the power supply and test your hand water pump fountain.
These are the steps that you can follow if you want to install a hand water pump fountain on your garden. Experiment with the amount of water that you need for the fountain in order for it to function well.