Solar energy being the energy of the future has made the use of solar panels increasingly popular. Solar photovoltaic panels trap the energy from the rays of the sun. This energy is then converted into power which can be used to run a number of machines and processes. Using solar photovoltaic panels is extremely useful as these panels can be affixed to almost any kind of roof. In this article, we teach you how to install solar panels onto your roofs.
- Before beginning the actual building process it is important to contact the local zone authorities of your region to obtain all the necessary information and guidelines about building, installing and using solar panels. Also, one cannot officially do the same without a permit, so it is imperative to own a license before beginning all the hard work.
- The panels need to be affixed at certain angles in order to receive the maximum amount of sunlight. These angles can be calculated depending upon the latitude on which they are being fixed. Begin by using a specialized mount to attach the panels to the roof.
- The next step is to affix the mounts on the rafters. These mounts should be placed at distances if approximately 48 inches to one another. If there is an absence of rafter, use a wooden block but do not attach the mounts directly to the roof surface.
- A pilot bit needs to be used to drill in the mounts. This keeps the rafters together and prevents splitting. Chalk markings should be used to clearly denote the measurements. This helps in maintaining precision.
- Next, lag bolts made of stainless steel should be used to fasten the mounts. The post of the mount needs to be fixed to the base. After that step, metal flashing's are kept over each of the mounts. This helps to keep the roof from leaking.
- This roofing is then hot mopped in the region surrounding the mounts. Again, stainless steel bolts are used attach metal rails to the mounts. Solar racks made of aluminum are used to complete the racking system.
- Following this, the solar panels are attached to the racking system with the adequate hardware. The wires arising out of the electrical boxes behind each panel need to be fixed into the appropriate terminals.
- Once the setting up of all junctions in the electric circuit is complete, close all open terminals. The solar panels are ready to use!