A picket fence makes your home more appealing. Aside from that, this can also add to your security. Installing a wood picket fence is quite easy if you have a bit of background in building and installation. However, the steps might be a bit different if the fence is going to be built on an incline. You do not need to hire a professional to do this. All you need are few materials and you can build your wood picket fence on an incline.
Follow these step-by-step instructions for the installation of a wood picket fence on an incline:
- Materials that you need. The materials that you need for this installation are picket fence posts, a post hole digger, drill, screws, measuring tape, level, strings and chalk powder. You can find these in your local hardware store. You must know how large the perimeter you are going to enclose is so that you can purchase the right number of fence posts.
- Draw perimeter. Use the chalk powder to draw the perimeter on the ground for the fence. This will be your guide when you are installing the fence posts so you have to make sure that the lines are straight. To do it properly, Put wooden stakes on the corners of the perimeter and tie the string from stake to stake. Follow the string with the chalk powder for straight lines.
- Mark posts. Mark the places where you will be installing the fence posts. Make sure that the distances between the posts are equal so that you will end up with a perfect looking fence.
- Inclined area. For the inclined areas, the procedure is the same but you have to determine the rise of the incline so that you can make sure that the distances between fence posts are still equal. Use a string and tie it from a post on the level ground to the post on the inclined area. This is the rise for the incline. Use that as a guide for the installation of the fence posts on the inclined spots.
- Dig. Dig holes on the areas that you marked. You can dig deeper holes for the corner posts so that it will be sturdier. Use the post hole digger so that digging will be easier for you.
- Install posts. You can install the fence posts when you are done digging the holes. Make sure to pack the soil on the ground tightly around the base of the post. For the inclined area, you might have to adjust how deep you should place the fence post for uniformity. Use the drill and screws to secure the posts in place.
Now you have a wood picket fence on your incline. You can paint the fence in any color you want so that you can improve the look of your home. Plant some flowers by the wood picket fence or add some garden accessories to liven up the mood of your yard.