Working on the installation of your own windows can save you some money. This is an easy job. You can work on it during your spare time. You do not have to hire someone else to do it for you. Installing an aluminum window in a steel stud frame is quite easy. All you need to do is study the procedure and know what to do when installing it yourself.
Here are the steps that you can follow if you want to install an aluminum window in a steel stud frame:
- Make preparations. Before starting the window installation, make sure that the steel stud frame is clean. Use a dry cloth to wipe off any dust and dirt from the frame. If you see any cracks or gaps, use some sealant to fix them up. Use spray adhesive on the frame of your window.
- Install the sill pan. The sill pan is the component of the window that prevents rain from coming inside the windows. It is good to install this on your window to prevent water damages. The sill pan can be bought from your local hardware store. Cut the sill pan using the measurement of your window opening but add an inch allowance all over. Install the sill pan using the adhesive spray.
- Install the aluminum window. It is advisable to install the aluminum window when it is not raining. Observe the window and see which side should face outside or inside. Also, make sure that you are installing it upright. Mount the aluminum window to the opening using some nails but do not secure the nails in first. Use a level to ensure that the window is installed straight.
- Test the aluminum window. Test the window by opening it and closing it. If you have any problems doing this, you might need to adjust the window slightly. Test the window pane if it locks up your window easily. If the hinges on your window are stiff, you can spray on some oil to loosen up the components. You can secure the nails down when you are happy with your window.
- Finishing the installation. Apply spray adhesive on the window installation after securing the nails. Be careful not to apply adhesive on the glass of the windows. You can place some old newspapers on the glass to make sure that you don’t get some adhesive on them. When you finish, walk away from the window so that you can see if you have installed it straight. Clean the windows and wipe the glass to remove any fingerprints or smudges.
These are all the steps that you need to follow if you want to install an aluminum window in a steel stud frame. The steps are easy to follow and you can finish the installation in just a few hours. If you need to drill or saw anything for the installation of the window, make sure that you wear protective gear such as work gloves or protective goggles.