In building your dream house, some of the factors you need to consider are the design and structure. Siding is usually used for the exterior or outer covering of your house like wall and roof to protect against the weather and for the water to shed. Not only it’s very useful but it also adds accent to your house. Siding can be made of different materials such as plastic, metal, woods and other substances. Stucco is also a material used for siding. Stucco is usually used for coating ceilings and roofs and is made of binder, water and aggregate. Stucco hardens when applied to walls. If you have sidings at home and you want to apply stucco, you can do this without hiring someone.
To install stucco siding, here are the steps you need to do:
- The first thing you need to do is check the type of wall you have. The process is different on each type of walls. See if your wall is brick, block, concrete or wood.
- If you have a brick, block or concrete wall, you need to use bonding agents for concretes. Coat your wall with the bonding agent and allow it to completely dry.
- Once the bonding agent on the wall is completely dry, you can now apply stucco on the wall. The stucco should be about ¼ inch thick. Once the stucco is slightly dry, scratch it horizontally with whatever material at home that you can use for scratching. You need to let it cure for about 2 days. However, make sure to keep it damp by misting it every now and then.
- After 2 days of curing, you can now apply your final coating of stucco. Apply stucco to the wall as your final coating which should be about 1/8 inch thick. You need to cure it for another 2 days making sure to keep it damp as your first coating by misting it every now and then.
- If you have a wooden wall, there’s no need to apply a bonding agent as this is only for brick, block and concrete walls. Instead, you will be using roofing felt and 17 gauge metal netting. Install the roofing net on the wall by using nails. Once the roofing net is placed, cover it with 17 gauge metal netting using nails as well.
- Trim the excess net. Once the net is attached, use a trowel to apply stucco on your wall for the first coating. Make sure to push stucco in between the spaces of the net. The stucco you applied should be at least ¼ inch thick. Like the first coating of stucco on brick, block and concrete walls, you need to let it slightly dry then scratch horizontally to have long horizontal scratches. Let it cure for 2 days making sure to keep it damp by misting it every now and then.
- After 2 days, apply the final coating of stucco which is about 1/8 inch thick. Let it cure for another 2 days.
If you want to apply paint on your stucco siding, you need to make sure that you will be using paint for concrete. Painting stucco siding should not be done immediately. You need to wait for at least 6 weeks before painting it.