If you want to redecorate your floor tiles but you do not want to spend a lot, you can do so by choosing to have vinyl floor tiles. Vinyl floor tiles are mostly used in areas where a lot of people pass by or for bathrooms and kitchens. Vinyl tiles are easy to install and you have a lot of choices for the colors and designs. You can also do the tiling yourself so you do not have to hire help.
Here are the steps on how you can install vinyl floor tiles in your home:
- Materials and Preparation - First, prepare the materials that you will need. These are: vinyl tiles, tile roller, chalk, utility knife and measuring tape. Make sure that the surface where you are going to place the vinyl tiles have no bumps, holes or other things that will make your flooring uneven. If you need to chisel off some adhesive from the floor, do it in a clean manner so that the installation of the new floor covering will be even.
- Measuring the Floor - The first thing you have to do is measure the floor so that you can tile the floor equally. Measure each side of the room and get the midpoint for each wall and mark it with the chalk. Draw a line where all the four points meet. That will be the center of the room. You will start your tiling from there.
- Layering the Tiles - You can first test the tiles to see if it is enough to fit your room. You can do this by laying down the tiles as the flooring without removing the paper that covers the adhesive. If there are any half tiles in the room, you can adjust the center to accommodate the full tiles.
- Installation of the Tiles - When everything is set, you can start layering the tiles. Remove the paper sticker from the back of the tile and lay down the first tile starting from the center of the room. Use the tile roller to flatten the vinyl tile and to make sure that there are no air bubbles. Remember to place the tiles as close as possible to each other so that the flooring will not be visible.
- Edges - If you need to cut the tile when you reach a wall, do so with the utility knife. Make sure that you cut just enough to fit the tile on the floor. You can also use a ruler to make sure that you will cut in a straight line.
These are the instructions on how you can install your own vinyl tiles. This is an easy task that everyone can do. The next time that you want to change your floor tiles, you can choose another design to compliment the theme of your house. Another thing you can do is buy 2 or more colors of vinyl tiles and place them alternately on the floor to have a checkerboard effect.