Most modern kitchens have stainless steel accents in them. Whether it’s the counter top, the kitchen sink, cabinet handles and doors, or even appliances, a touch of stainless steel is definitely infused to create that modern look. While high-grade stainless steel is virtually rustproof, it is not smudge proof.
A smudged stainless steel fixture is an ugly sight. You do not have to worry about obsessive compulsiveness since its normal to get irritated with smudged stainless steel. To ensure that you have shiny and brand new looking fixture, you have to know how to properly maintain and clean them.
Below are some tips for you to keep your stainless steel kitchen appliances smudge free:
- Use the handles. Handles are present in appliances for a reason other than mobility. Handles are the perfect spot to hold your appliances so that you can keep it smudge free. Strictly enforce in your household that appliances should be lifted via the handle. Most appliance handles are made of different material. Also, make sure that refrigerators are closed using hands and not the foot. A shoe print on the refrigerator is definitely a no-no.
- Have designated wipes for your fixtures. To ensure that you do not scratch your appliance, a lint-free cloth should be kept near the fixtures so that you can easily wipe smudges and fingerprints as soon as they appear. The longer you keep the smudges, the harder it will be for you to clean it. Do not attempt to use rough sponge to clean the surface. A smudged fixture is definitely better than scratched fixture.
- Make it your obligation to buff your appliances at least once a week. Buffing appliances regularly will make them shine like brand new. Do not wait for dirt and smudge to accumulate in your appliances; include stainless steel buffing in your cleaning routine to make it less tasking.
- Purchase stainless steel cleaners in your local supermarket. Having cleaning solutions handy will make cleaning easier. For hard to smudges, immediately clean the surface following the instructions that come with the cleaning solution.
- Avoid sticky substances. Do not make a habit of placing sticky papers or tapes in your refrigerator or cabinets. Adhesive substances are difficult to remove in stainless steel appliances or doors. Place your messages somewhere else. You can hang a corkboard near your kitchen counter instead.
- Do not let water dry up in your stainless sink. Watermarks are just as difficult to remove as smudges. Use a soft cloth or and old cotton shirt to wipe out any water residue in the sink and counter after you use them.
- Do not use strong acids in cleaning your kitchen appliances. Chlorine or bleach can be harmful to your appliances.
- No magnets. Magnets may be cute on your refrigerator door; but they are not equally friendly with stainless steel surfaces. Avoid putting any magnets to refrigerator doors, as you will see the damage later on.
Remember, stainless steel appliances should be regularly maintained so
that they can preserve their shiny finish. Smudges are normal so learn
how to deal with them.