Every homeowner knows that one of the challenges of maintaining the home is keeping the carpet clean and smelling fresh. It’s especially difficult if you have pets or smokers in the home. Over the years, your carpet may develop a funky odor due to the absorption of various smells in the home.
Before you decide to replace the carpet and change to hardwood floors, there are some remedies you can do to revive your carpet and make it smell fresh again. Try these!
- Clean spills immediately. To avoid moldy odors and other stains, clean any dirt, spills or accidents on the floor immediately. If you leave it for a long time, it will set and it will be harder to remove. This includes any accidents by your pets or children. Use a damp sponge and use a bit of mild detergent if necessary. Blot out any excess liquid and vacuum the area as needed.
- Don’t let smokers in the home. Tell your cigarette loving friends to take it outside. Otherwise, your home will end up smelling like an ashtray. Prevention is always better than having to deal with bad and stale odors.
- Teach your dog or cat where to go. Your carpet shouldn’t be their bathroom. Make sure your dog is well trained and your cat knows where his litter box is so he doesn’t relieve himself on your floor. It’s very difficult to remove urine smells on the carpet. Once it’s there, your pet will have a tendency to keep it going back. If you have a new puppy, layer the carpet with newspapers, or keep your pet in the kitchen or other tiled area until he has been toilet-trained.
- Put some baking soda on it before you vacuum. Baking soda is great for absorbing bad smells. Put a generous sprinkle of it on your carpet and leave on for a few minutes. Next, run the vacuum cleaner on high. This should remove most bad smells.
- Clean regularly. At the very least, you should vacuum your home at least once a week. If possible, do it more frequently to make sure your carpets stay clean and nice smelling.
- Open the windows. Ventilate the rooms, especially when you’re cooking something with a strong odor. Keep the air circulating in your home to help the air moving and also smells don’t stick to the carpet. You don’t want your carpet smelling like fried fish do you?
- Let the professionals do it. If your carpet is dirty and grimy, you may want to spend the money to let a professional carpet cleaner do the job for you. Rates vary depending on where you live and the square footage of your room. It’s a reasonable investment to make to get your carpets looking new and smelling fresh again. You may want to do this at least once a year. If you prefer, you can also rent a carpet cleaner from the grocery store or from a do-it-yourself home supply center.
If after trying these different solutions and you feel that you just can’t get your carpet to smell fresh again regardless of the number of cleanings you do, you may need to change it. If your carpet is hopelessly outdated, frayed and just plain worn out, go ahead and invest on either new carpets or switch to a wood floor laminate.