Your home is your castle, so you have to do everything in your power to protect it legally. This article will talk about how you can protect your home from burglary.
The first thing you have to know is that a burglary occurs every 12 seconds in the US, which means your home could be next.
- So the first step is to install a security system that will be activated when no one is at home or you are sleeping. Installing a security system is vital, because most of the burglaries that do occur are committed by criminals who do not know how to bypass a security system.
When choosing a security system, get one that has a mobile patrol car so an officer will be able to check on your home. If police assistance is required, they can call it in, since there are limits to what they can do as security officers. If you think that this is not enough, invite someone from the police department to inspect your home. This is because people with their experience know how most burglars get in, so they can tell you what you need to improve your home's security to prevent a burglary from happening.
- Despite having the security system in place, there is still a chance that an intruder will be able to bypass the system and its safeguards. Should this person enter, you have no choice but to defend yourself, so it would be advisable to also keep a gun in the house. Just make sure this is kept away from children so your children will not have access to it.
- All valuables like jewelry and extra cash as well as important documents should be locked in a vault. If you are not confident having these at home, store these in a safety deposit box in the bank.
- Since not everything can be kept in the bank, make sure you have insurance so missing items can easily be replaced, which is especially easy when these have been recorded with your insurance agency.
- Most crimes occur after dark, and one deterrent is to install a timer so your lights will turn on at a certain time. This will make the burglar think twice as to whether there is anyone home or not.
- If crime is prevalent in your area, then your neighbors are also potential targets. Since it can happen at any time, organizing a neighborhood watch program is also a good idea so everyone becomes vigilant.
Lastly, if you are going out of town for a few days, talk to your neighbor to look after the house till you get back.