An arbor is a type of framing element in the garden that usually supports climbing plants. In the world of balloon decorating, a balloon arbor is a decorative element that looks like a gazebo. You can place it indoors or outdoors. A balloon arbor can be expensive if done by a balloon professional. You can save a lot of money by doing the balloon arbor yourself with a little help from your family or friends.
- Design the arbor. The design will determine the colors and sizes of balloons that you will need to create the arbor. Search online for inspiration.
- Decide on the height of the four columns. You can use an aluminum rod or PVC pipe attached to a base for the column.
- Gather your materials:
- Balloons – sizes and colors will depend on the design
- Air pump
- Aluminum or PVC pipe
- Base for columns
- Additional finishing touches – ribbons, tulle, flowers, and others
To make the columns with round and long balloons:
- Inflate, tie and twist together a cluster of four round balloons.
- Secure this to the column starting at the base.
- Continue inflating, tying and twisting balloons into clusters then securing these to the column until you reach about 2 feet in height. It can be shorter or taller depending on your design.
- Inflate and tie 4 long balloons. Slide these into the cluster or round balloons. Make sure these are secure.
- Twist the balloons around the column to make a spiral. Use an un-inflated long balloon to secure the end of the spiral to the column.
- Add more long balloons to the spiral column if necessary. Just make sure to secure the balloons well.
- Inflate and attach clusters of balloons at the top of the column. This is an effective way of hiding the extra ends of the long balloons.
- Make the three other columns.
- If you like, add finishing touches to the columns like additional small balloons, tulle, silk ribbons, flowers and other elements.
Top of the Arbor
To create the top of the arbor, you will need aluminum rods. Make sure that the length of the rod is enough to create the needed height for the arch. To make the top of the arbor with round and long balloons:
- Start with one arch, make clusters of balloons and attach it starting at about 1 ½ to 2 feet from the end of the arch. The number of clusters you use will depend on your design.
- Inflate two long balloons and attach these to the rod, making a spiral. Use the same technique as with the columns earlier.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 this time working on the opposite end of the arch. You should be left with a gap at the center of the arch
- Repeat steps 1 – 3 for the other arch.
- For the middle of the arch, create clusters of balloons. These will be attached to the empty space. In effect, you are creating a topiary of balloons.
- Cross the two arches. In the center, attach the balloon topiary.
- Add finishing touches to the arch like tulle, ribbons, flowers and other decorative items.
- Position and insert the arches into the column of balloons.
A balloon arbor is a wonderful way to create an eye-catching focal point in an event. In some weddings, couples exchange I dos under arches made of balloons. It is a great way to add fun, color and whimsy to any event.