When bending and crafting parts from metal or aluminum tubing, handy tools such as pipe benders are used. This kind of tool is useful for different kinds of projects involving metal works. It can be made or crafted at home with just some pieces of hardware or material that may be available in your workshop or at home.
You can easily make a pipe bender at home. By making your own, you will be able to save a certain amount of money on such tool. There are many types of pipe benders, each of which can be easy to make and can be designed to be customizable to bend pipes into whatever size of arcs. In this article, you will learn how to make your own pipe bender.
- Prepare the materials. To make your own pipe bender, you will need a hydraulic jack, miscellaneous nuts and bolts, and a thick steel plate. Prepare these materials ahead of time so you won't have to stop in the middle of your project.
- Plan the design of your pipe bender accurately. It would be of great help if the design is sketched on paper. This allows you to readily visualize what you really want in a pipe bender, and also, the sketch would serve as the basis when you start making a bender yourself. Looking at new or existing models of pipe benders and having those as basis for designing your very own pipe bender would be of help in the process, since there might be a lot of options available for you to use. So, play architect for now and sketch your pipe bender design.
- Determine the dimensions of the bender. After working on the design of the bender, the next thing to do is to determine the dimensions of the bender. These dimensions should then be transferred onto a steel plate.
- Trim the design on the steel plate. Cutting the steel plate would be for the base and mounts needed for the hydraulic jack and the pipe bender itself would be done afterward.
- Weld the pieces of the steel plate together. In order to avoid rusting, you should protect the structure by painting it. This is an important thing for you to do since you would not want a rusty pipe bender.
- Mount the hydraulic jack onto the base of the pipe bender. Appropriate size benders should be mounted onto the hydraulic jack and to the opposite end as well.
- Double check. All the bolts and nuts used for the formation of the bender should be doubled checked, tightened, and secured so that the jack and pipe benders are fixed and secured in place. This would ensure that the pipe bender is stable for whatever usage.
In the process of making a pipe bender, you should first know what kind
or type of bender you would want to have, depending on what you would
use and want it for. It is essential that these steps be followed to
avoid committing any mistakes and wasting resources in the process.