Do you wake up every morning with an aching back? The problem may be due to the type of bed that you sleep on. Remember that you lay down on your bed for about 6 hours (average) every night, and so it definitely pays to make sure that you have the type of bed that will adequately support your back. One of the leading causes of back pain is mattresses that are too soft. Know that it is very important that the bed you lay down on is adequately hard and which allows you to sleep with your spine aligned correctly.
If you have a bed with old box springs, it may be time to replace them – for your health’s sake. No budget for a new bed frame? You could try to make your own platform bed, for a fraction of the cost of buying a ready-made one.
- Prepare your materials. For this project, you will need the following: a sheet of medium-density fiberboard, MDF, the size of which will depend on the size of your mattress (see details below); six 2x4 inch wooden boards (the length of these boards will also depend on the size of your mattress); three-inch wood screws, a power screwdriver, and a tape measure. You could request for the wood to be precut at the hardware store where you buy them from, to ensure that you will have precise measurements.
- Sketch a plan of the framework. Measure your mattress. Definitely, you will need your framework to accommodate the entire perimeter of your mattress. Once you measure your mattress, add about one inch allowance on each side. Draw your plan on how the framework will look like; include your measurements to guide you throughout the creation process. You wouldn’t have to make your drawing to scale; just make sure that you clearly indicate the dimensions and measurements that you have to work with.
- Build the frame. Get four of the 2x4s (with the length determined by the size of your mattress) and arrange them so they will form a rectangular framework. Drill holes at the edges so you could screw these boards together (using the wood screws).
- Place support brackets in the space in the middle of the frame. Measure the width of the space between the frames, and purchase two 2x4 inch wooden boards that can fit this measurement. Put these two boards inside the space, dividing the space evenly into three parts. These boards will serve as support brackets, which will reinforce the MDF that you will place on top of the frame shortly. Attach these support brackets to the framework using the wooden screws.
- Attach the MDF to the wooden frame. Now, measure the perimeter of your wooden frame; this should be the length and width of the MDF that you will use. Place the MDF sheet on top of the frame, and use the wooden screws to secure them.
There you have it! These are the simple steps towards creating your own
platform bed using medium-density fiber. It shouldn’t cost you that much
to undertake this project; the important thing is that you be very
careful with your measurements so that you can get the framework right
the first time. Once you finish this project, you could definitely enjoy
a healthier, more comfortable night of sleep!