Privacy screens are a handy addition to maintaining your home's privacy. Here are the steps on how to make one on your own.
- Take into account the location where you want the privacy screen to be positioned. Are you planning to use this on the veranda, the living room or your bedroom? If the screen will be used on the veranda, check if privacy screen is really needed as your veranda could be blocked from the public by trees or maybe by fences surrounding your property. If the veranda is exposed from the public view, then privacy screen would really be needed.
- Decide what type of privacy screen you want to have. Privacy screens are typically designed simply as folding screens that hide the view of a certain place in your house. It normally has up to four panels but you can add as many panels as you need. There are also privacy screens that are simply flat panels erected around an area you want to enclose or a hanging curtain to cover for privacy.
- Decide how big the area the screen should cover. Take a measuring tape and list the length you want the screen to obscure from the view. Ensure that you keep the list with you when you are about to purchase the materials you need in producing a homemade privacy screen.
- Decide if you want to build the screen from scratch or not. There are prefabricated privacy screens that you can purchase from “DIY Stores” (short for “Do it Yourself”) that you can easily assemble and set up at home. Should you choose not to obtain these prefab screens, you can always put together the screen yourself. For this tutorial, we will be creating the privacy screen from scratch.
- Obtain the materials you need in making a privacy screen. From a local hardware store, purchase a piece of plywood. Take into consideration the length you want the screen to have and obtain as many panels of wood you need. Also get hinges, sand paper and crown molding (if you so desire). The number of hinges would depend on how many folds you want to have. Typically, it would be best to install two hinges on each fold for better hold and support.
- Begin working on the privacy screen. Your work area should be somewhere that you are able to move freely, without the feeling of being constricted as you do your work. Lay the wood on your worktable and measure and cut it into the height of panels you fancy. Cut as many panels you desire and once you are done, take a pencil and mark the wood where you the hinges should be installed. After measuring and marking indicators on the wood panels, with the help of a screwdriver or drill, install the metal hinges. If you would like to add a crown molding to the wood panel frame, do so. Use the sand paper to smooth the surface and coat the screen with paint for design.
Let your inventiveness and ingenuity flow. You can design your privacy screen and add some accessories like stained glass or beads to it.