Do you sleep with the mattress on the floor? Or your metal bed frame squeaks loudly? Building your own queen-sized bed frame will save you a lot of money. Bed frames sold at home depots are very costly. If you make your own, not only will it be a lot cheaper, but you have the freedom to choose the kind of wood and the paint color that you want to use, and you can customize the size and height of the bed frame according to the space of your bedroom.
There are pros in using a wooden bed frame than a metal one. Wood lasts longer than metal, it doesn’t rust, squeak and it wooden frames look better than metal ones. Here’s a step by step on how to make your own wooden bed frame.
- Measure the size of your bed frame that you will build. Make sure that you have enough space in your bedroom for the frame, leaving enough room for other furniture. That’s one advantage of making your own frame; you can customize the size according to your bedroom’s area.
- Buy the supplies that you will need in a hardware store. You will need a hand saw or electric saw, electric or hand drill, hammer, plywood, lumber, nails, wood screws, sand paper, wood stain (optional) and paint.
- Cut the plywood and lumber according to your measurements. Do not cut the wood if you are not sure of your measurements. Double check if your measurements are correct, and then proceed with the cutting. Remember that you take into consideration when you are measuring the size of your mattress. It should fit perfectly on the bed frame.
- If you have all the parts sawed up according to their right measurements, you can nail and screw each part to complete your project. Look into a picture on how to assemble a wooden bed frame and proceed with hammering the nails and screws one by one.
- Once your bed frame is done, you can opt to paint it with the color that you like or you can apply wood stain or varnish to retain and improve the look of the wood. Dry the paint or wood stain and let the odor go away before putting on your mattress, otherwise the smell of the paint or varnish will stick to the mattress and bed sheet.
It is best to have a picture on how to build a wooden bed frame if you don’t know how to make one. You can look up online for a step by step procedure and print it so you will have a guide when you are ready to build your own frame. Architectural digests are also good sources of samples on how to make bed frames. Remember to study the procedures first to avoid making mistakes and buying wood all over again because you got the measurements wrong. Be careful in using the tools. You may hurt yourself if you do not know how to use them properly. Always work with precaution.