Making a rag rug loom can be tricky if you do not know how to make one. It is difficult to find a readymade rag rug loom in craft stores in a size that you want. Making your own loom can save you a lot of money over buying one at craft stores. This article will teach you how to make a loom out of wood and nails. Follow these steps to make your own rag rug loom.
- Determine the size of the rag rug loom that you want to make. Take note of the measurements. You will need 2”x2” wood, ¼”x2”x12” piece of wood, nails, sandpaper, yarn of different colors, hammer, and hand saw. Buy the materials that you do not have at home from a hardware or craft store.
- Once you have bought the necessary materials, you can start your project. Cut the wood according to the size that you want. There should be two long pieces of wood and two shorter pieces for the frame. A twelve-inch piece of wood will serve as the needle for the yarn when you will begin making your rag rug. Smooth the ends and edges of the wood pieces with a fine sandpaper to avoid yarn from getting caught in the rough wood and snapping.
- Place the longer pieces on the work bench parallel to each other. Put the shorter ones on top. Secure them with nails. Use several nails on each side to ensure that the loom frame will not fall apart. You now have a loom frame for your rag rug.
- Round off the edges of the piece of wood with fine sandpaper that will serve as the needle.
- After making the loom frame, you can now warp the frame. Warping is the winding of yarn around the frame. It is better to choose a yarn that is strong and does not easily snap. Cotton or wool yarns are good choices.
- Tie the end of the yarn at the bottom of the frame. Loop it under the frame and it will come out on top. Continue this process until you have reached your desired number of loops. Tie the yarn at the top end of the frame. Make double knots to secure the yarn and prevent from getting loose.
- You are now ready to weave the yarn into the loom to make a rag rug. Choose your favorite colors of yarn to make into a rag rug.
That was really pretty easy, wasn’t it? You can make weaving rag rugs into a hobby and eventually turn it into a home-based business. Before you sell your rugs, practice making them and give them to relatives and friends as gifts. They can in turn give their feedbacks on the quality and strength of the rugs that you made. You can make adjustments to make the rugs stronger. Once you have mastered the art of weaving rag rug looms, you can make loom frames of different sizes.