If you find the air in your home a little stale and opening the windows doesn’t seem to help much, your home may benefit from the use of some scented air fresheners. It can help mask undesirable aromas, especially when you’re frying food or when people have been smoking indoors.
You can make your own air freshener at home. It’s quite economical and simple to do. You don’t need to go out and buy those prepackaged spray cans and bottles of freshener. Here are some techniques you can utilize to make your own air freshener at home.
- Rub some essential oil on a light bulb. Get a bottle of your favorite essential oil and place a few drops of it on a piece of soft cloth. Next, immediately rub the light bulbs of your lamps and overhead lighting with this cloth. When you turn on the lamp, the heat emanated by the bulb will help diffuse the scent. People will wonder where the subtle scent is coming from. Reapply as needed.
- Make your own bottle of vanilla air freshener. Get a small spray bottle and fill it up with some distilled water and add ¼ cup of baking soda. Add 10 drops of vanilla essential oil to the mixture and shake well. The baking soda will absorb any foul scents while the essential oil will leave a sweet lingering scent in the air. If you prefer, you can use other favorite essential oils, such as eucalyptus or peppermint.
- Simmer some apples in a pot. Want your home to smell like freshly baked apple pie? Get a small pot and place a sliced apple in it. Next, add two sticks of cinnamon in the pot and allow it to simmer together. The heat in the pot will diffuse the scent of the apple and cinnamon leaving a sweet and delicious apple pie smell in the home.
- Use laundry dryer sheets. Get a regular scented dryer sheet. Place it in your air vents in the home. When you turn on the air or the heater, it will leave a nice soft scent in the air. Simply replace the dryer sheet after a week or so.
- Boil some citrus rinds. Lemons, oranges and grapefruits have a wonderful smell. Don’t throw your peels away after you’re done eating the fruit. Get the peels and put it in the pot and simmer with some water. Another technique you can try for your kitchen is to place half a lemon or orange inside the sink. Turn on the garbage disposal unit. As it grinds the citrus fruit inside, it will release a nice citrus scent in your sink and kitchen.
- Use soaps. If you want to put an air freshener in your closet, why not use some scented soaps instead? It will automatically be hypoallergenic! Get a few bars of your favorite scented soaps and place them in your linen drawers and lingerie drawer. Whenever you open your closet, you will smell the soap. It will also leave behind a nice scent on your clothes.
As you can see, you don’t need to spend a lot of money to get your home to smell nice and fresh. Use these creative solutions and make your own air freshener instead of using store bought items loaded with harmful chemicals! It will only cost you pennies whenever you do this.