Doing arts and crafts requires plenty of space. If you into making scrapbooks, you will need all the space you can get in order to work efficiently. A scrapbooking desk is ideal so that you can layout all your materials and still have space to prepare the layouts. Buying a work desk can be quite expensive and you might not be able to find exactly what you are looking for. The best solution to this is to make your own scrapbooking desk. All you need are a few materials and skills and you are on your way to making scrapbooks with your new desk.
These are the steps that you can follow if you want to know how to make a scrapbooking desk:
- Materials. You do not need to purchase most of the materials that you need for this project. Look for the items in scrap yards or your garage to save money. You will need 2 filing cabinets that have a hollow door, a door slab and shelf brackets.
- Prepare the filing cabinets and door. Remove any screws and obstructions from the filing cabinet frames and the door. Set the screws aside. Move the filing cabinets against a wall so that it will be easier for you to set your scrapbooking materials on the table. Set the hollow door on top of the filing cabinets. This will serve as the main surface for your scrapbooking desk. You might need to glue the surface by using wood glue or drilling in screws.
- Fixing the scrapbooking table. You will end up with a table that has organizer spaces underneath where you can easily store your scrapbooking materials. Get a desk lamp and place it on one corner of your scrapbooking table. You can drill a small hole on the surface of the table so that you can insert the cord of the lamp easily.
- Storage. Use the compartments of the filing cabinets as storage for your scrapbooking materials. Use clear tape to provide labels for each compartment so that you can keep your area easily organized. Keep all the paper materials in one compartment and separate the accessories and other decorative items that you have in another.
- Seating. Provide a stool for your scrapbooking desk. You might need to build one yourself so that you have the right height of the stool that is perfect for your work desk. Not having the right height for the stool can result in backaches when you are working on your scrapbook.
- Clean area. Clean your work area up so that you can already start working on scrapbook projects. Learn to clean up each time you finish a project so that you can maintain the organized area that you have.
These are the steps that you can follow if you want to make your own
scrapbooking desk. It is best to place the desk in an area dedicated
solely for working on your arts and crafts so that you will have
everything that you need in one location.