Shaker rocking chairs were very popular in the olden days. This type of chair is typically made out of fine wood and is seen in living rooms or in porches. Purchasing a shaker rocking chair today might be quite expensive. If you want a shaker rocking chair for your home, you can learn to make one by following the simple steps that are provided below.
Here are the steps that you can follow in order to make your own shaker rocking chair:
- Materials that you need. The materials that you need for building the shaker rocking chair are a saw, oak wood, sand paper and wood glue. Cut the oak wood into different sections for the parts of the rocking chair. You might also want to have a cushion for the chair.
- Plan the rocking chair. First, draw a draft of the rocking chair that you want to make. Be sure to be as detailed as possible so that you will know how many pieces you need for each of the parts of the rocking chair. The parts that you have to make are the armrests, backrest, rockers, chair seat and the chair legs.
- Cut wood. Cut wood according to the parts that you need. The length of each of the parts that you need depends on your design. For the rockers, ensure the curve is just enough to rock the chair. If you make the rockers too curved, the rocking chair might tip over when it sways.
- Building the shaker rocking chair. Make sure that you have all the parts you need for building the chair. It is advisable to set all the common pieces together so that it will be easier for you to build. Start building from the base of the rocking chair upwards. Use the wood glue to connect the rocking chair parts together. Allow the wood glue to completely dry before you test your rocking chair. This may take a few hours or a day.
- Sand the rocking chair. Use the sand paper to sand down the rocking chair so that it will have a smooth surface. Make sure you sand every part, including the surfaces in between the posts. This might be a bit hard to do especially if you have the posts glued close together. Use a small stick to hold the sandpaper in between small spaces.
- Paint the chair. Paint the chair after sanding and allow it to dry for a few days. You might need to do 2 coatings, depending on the color that you want to achieve. Test your rocking chair after a few days.
These are the steps that you have to follow if you want to know how to
make your own shaker rocking chair. If you do not have background in
woodworking, it might be better to hire someone to do the construction for
you. You can draw what you want the shaker rocking chair to look like
and have it constructed for you.