One of the best ways to welcome the new year is by redecorating your home. The thing is, you wouldn’t have to shell out a lot of money in order to give your house a new look. Just sprucing up some areas of your house, changing the color here and there, and adding a decoration or two in a central area would definitely be adequate to breathe new life into your home interiors. One of the simplest redecoration jobs you could do is to add a wall sconce to your home.
What is a wall sconce? Wall sconces refer to light fixtures attached to walls. Not only is it very practical (being attached to the wall, it’s a certified space-saver), it also serves decorative purposes as well. Wall sconces also give off a romantic, dreamy atmosphere, as they create soft, subtle ambient lighting. There are many types of wall sconces you can create, and one of these is vintage-style wall sconces.
If you’re looking to find out to how to make your own vintage wall sconce for your home, here are some pointers:
- Look up some pictures of wall sconces on the Internet, to give you inspiration and ideas on how you want your own version to look like. There are many designs available over the Internet, and you could look them up at such websites as Eco-lights.com, Wallsconceuniverse.com and Lightingshowplace.com. Many of the available wall sconces here are pretty affordable, so you could consider buying one ready-made from these websites.
- Mark the part of the wall where you would like to have your wall sconce installed. Remember, this should be at a clear area, not directly above seating. Discuss with an electrician how he could do some rewiring so that a bulb could be lit inside the sconce. It is of utmost importance that you consult a professional electrician about this matter, to avoid any type of electrical mishaps.
- You could buy a ready-made electric sconce kit from a hardware and electrical supplies store, and just enhance its design. A better idea is to find antique wall sconce kits from flea markets and garage sales.
- Paint your wall sconce, using colors that complement the overall interior design of your room. Since you researched about possible wall sconce designs (see step number 1), you should have an idea about how you want your final product to look like. You could also use glitters and sequins to decorate your sconce; just use appropriate gluing material for this.
- Once you’ve decorated your wall sconce, have it attached to your desired area. Again, it is very important that you hire a professional electrician for this job. He should take care of attaching the wires to the bulb in your sconce, and also for attaching it to an electrical switch. Do make it a habit to constantly have your electrical wirings checked.
There you have it! These are just some pointers for you to make a vintage wall sconce for your home. Do be sure to have the sconce installed above eye level, and use a soft watt bulb for a dramatic effect. Good luck!