Having classic decorations can make your house appear more elegant. If you visit home showrooms, you might find yourself leaving without buying something because the decorations are so expensive. What you can do is recreate some of the items that you see from these showrooms so that you can have them without spending so much. One of the classic home decorations that you can make on your own is a concrete pedestal. Another advantage of making your own decoration is that you can paint it to match the interior of your house.
Here are the instructions on how you can make your own concrete pedestal:
- Materials for the project. The materials that you will need for this project are a pedestal mold, concrete mix, water, a big bucket to mix the concrete in, sealant, paint and paintbrushes. You can find all of in your local hardware store.
- Prepare your work area. Work in an area where you are free to move around. Choose a flat surface. You might want to lay down some old newspapers around your area so that it will be easier for you to clean your mess up when you work with the concrete.
- Mix the concrete. When you mix the concrete, be sure to read the instructions on the package. Mix it in your big bucket with water. When you have achieved the right consistency of the concrete, you can start making your concrete pedestal.
- Make the concrete pedestal. Lay down your mold on the flat surface and carefully pour in the concrete. After pouring the concrete, gently tap the sides of the mold to help the concrete settle in place and also to get rid of the air pockets that might be in the concrete when you poured it in. In a few minutes, you might notice that the concrete that you poured may go under in the middle portion. This normally happens. To fix this, just pour some more concrete on the part where the concrete sunk.
- Finishing. Now, let the concrete dry. This is an important step. You do not want to rush this process as you might end up with a concrete pedestal that is not so desirable. Allow it to dry for about two to three days. When the concrete is completely dry, you can remove it from the mold. Let it air out in a ventilated space for about a week. After this, you can apply sealant on the concrete. Let it dry and paint it in the color of your choice.
These are the steps on how you can make your own concrete pedestal that you can display in the interior or exterior of your home. You can also do this activity with other decorative items. All you have to do is to purchase molds that you are going to use. This is an excellent do it yourself activity that will not only save your money but will also leave your house looking elegant and homey.