Recycling is one thing that you can do at home, so that you can get rid of old items that you no longer need and come up with new ones that you can use. One of the things that you can make is a curtain out of a tablecloth. If you have some old tablecloths at home, you can do this easy project to make some curtains for your kitchen, living room or bedroom. The steps are really easy to follow.
Here is how you can make some curtains out of your old tablecloths.
- Materials that you need. The materials that you need for the project are tablecloths, curtain rods and curtain rings. You will also need a sewing machine, tape measure, thread and scissors. Look for some old curtains that you have stored at home.
- Measure the window. First you have to measure the dimensions of the window where you will hang the curtains so that you can have a good idea on how much fabric you need and the length of the curtain rod that you need to use. Take note of the measurements and purchase the right curtain rod that you need to use.
- Cut the tablecloth. Now you can cut the tablecloth to size. When cutting, you should add an allowance of half the measurement of the tablecloth, so that you can cover the entire window without having a flat curtain. Also, add measurements to the lengths and widths of the tablecloth for sewing allowance. Add about 3 to 4 inches of allowance on the top portion of the curtains so that you have room to make a loop to insert the curtain rod.
- Sew the tablecloth. Sew the sides and the hem of the tablecloth. This will prevent the fabric from fraying. For the top portion, fold it in and sew to make a hole in the curtain. Make sure that the curtain rod fits inside the hole of the tablecloth.
- Mount the curtain rod screws. Use some screws to mount the curtain rod in place. If you want the room to appear higher, you can mount the curtain rod a few inches above the upper frame of the window. Screw on the mounts tightly in place.
- Hang the curtains on the curtain rod. Insert the curtain rod through the hole on the upper portion of the tablecloth. Arrange the curtains so that it falls nicely. Hang the rod on the mounts that you installed earlier. Now you are done making your curtains out of a tablecloth. If you want, you can add a ribbon to the curtain so that you can tie it on the side when you want sunshine in the house.
It is that easy to make curtains out of old tablecloths that you have.
There are many other items that you can make out of old tablecloths. You
can make equipment covers, pillow covers and many more. If you learn how
to recycle your items, you will save a lot of money instead of buying
new items from a store.