Floor wax protects the surface of your floor from abrasion and stains. Tiles, some linoleum floor coverings and particularly wood benefit greatly from a coating of floor wax. It can extend the life of your floor and give it a beautiful finish. Floor covered with wax are easier to clean as dust to do not cling to the crevices and grooves on the floor surface and are lifted off easily by a broom, a dry mop or a vacuum cleaner. There are many types and brands of floor wax that you can buy but most of these are contain very strong chemicals, first to protect the floor and second, to act as insect repellent. With a few ingredients you can make your own floor wax at home that will not have the strong chemical odors inherent in commercially made floor waxes. Below are the steps on how to make floor wax.
- These are the things that you will need for a batch of homemade floor wax. You will need a double boiler, twenty drops of lavender essential oil, one cup of lavender oil, one half cup of vodka, one and a half ounces of beeswax and one and a half to two ounces of carnauba wax.
- Place the carnauba wax in a bag and smash it to smaller pieces to make it easier to melt and mix with the rest of the ingredients. Carnauba wax comes from Brazil and a very essential ingredient in the food, industrial and cosmetic industries. Carnauba wax will give your floor a wonderful glossy finish. It will also make your floor waterproof. And best of all, carnauba wax is hypoallergenic so it is very safe to use even if you have small children and pets.
- Grate the beeswax so the melting time for the waxes will be almost the same and facilitate the blending of the waxes. Beeswax works very well with carnauba wax for making furniture polishes and acts as a sealant. Normally it is combined with turpentine or other petroleum product when used in furniture polishes but for this floor wax recipe, the alcohol content will come from vodka.
- Heat the bottom pot of the double boiler until the water is simmering. Place the cup of lavender oil, the carnauba wax and the grated beeswax in the top pot of the double boiler and reduce the heat. Stir the ingredients gently and steadily until the waxes have melted and fully mixed with the lavender oil.
- Turn off your stove and remove the pot and transfer it on a trivet. Pour the vodka and add the lavender essential oil and stir until all the ingredients are fully incorporated. Transfer the mixture into a metal canister with a lid. Allow the floor wax to harden uncovered before using.
Use less carnauba wax if you want to make your floor wax softer. The lavender oil will give a very pleasant and soothing smell to your home that will stay for a long time. Apply the floor wax with a clean cloth. Paraffin wax and mineral oil are also good ingredients when you want to make homemade floor wax.