Fabric softener is the final touch for clothes to be declared clean and fresh. Supermarkets abound with different brands of fabric softener. However, many liquid fabric softeners are expensive. An alternative is the homemade liquid fabric softener which can be made using simple ingredients bought from the market. The following steps should be followed when making the homemade liquid fabric softener.
- Get a sealable container, and a quantity of any brand of hair conditioner along with vinegar. You will also need water. The sealable container must be airtight and big enough to accommodate the mixture. The hair conditioner must be strongly scented.
- Measure 2 cups of hair conditioner, 3 cups vinegar, and 6 cups water. Place them in a big mixing bowl to prevent spillage.
- Mix all the ingredients. Use any mixing tool but a clean egg beater will do.
- Store in the air tight sealable container. If possible use smaller containers for ease of use.
- Use your homemade liquid fabric softener every time you run the laundry, like the commercial softener from the market.
If you can make liquid fabric softener in the comfort of your home, you may also want to keep your family’s clothes clean the more natural way by making your own laundry detergent. The following is a list of ingredients for making a laundry detergent.
- Decide which type of laundry detergent you would like to make. The ingredients for liquid detergent are less expensive but it is a more complicated task and it requires a bigger storage space. Powdered detergents takes less space, cost more, but are simpler to make.
- Gather all the ingredients such as: (a) 1 whole bar of soap such as Ivory brand. Ivory is known for its purity (b) ½ cup powdered borax (c) ½ cup washing soda (sodium carbonate)
Making homemade liquid fabric softener may help housewives extend their budget to other important household expenses. Homemade liquid fabric softener may become an additional source of income for the enterprising housewife. Experiment with the fragrance to make it more desirable to use. With a small amount of capital, it would be easy for anybody to start a small business. Eventually it will grow and give a good return of investment. Once you know the basic procedure on how to make the fabric softener, continue learning other techniques and researching other possible ingredients. You will be on the road to success without leaving your home.