Saving money at home is easy when you stop paying for overpriced cleaners and laundry tools and start making them the way your grandparents and great-grandparents did. If you want to save money and avoid harsh chemicals consider making laundry spray starch at home. Follow these steps and you can mix your own spray starch for crisp shirts and suits.
- Clean, empty plastic spray bottle
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 cups cold water
- Mixing bowl
- Plastic spoon
- 2-3 drops essential oils (optional)
- Mix cornstarch and water. Place the cold water and cornstarch into a mixing bowl. Stir thoroughly until the two are mixed and the cornstarch dissolves. The mixture should be slightly cloudy.
- Add scent (optional). Choose an essential oil of lemon, eucalyptus, lime or lavender for a light scent to your freshly pressed attire. If using scent, use it sparingly with just a drop or two of the oil. Stir the oil into the mixture.
- Pour mix into the spray bottle. Slowly pour the starch mix into the spray bottle and tighten the lid so it is secure.
- Shake liquid starch before each use. You are now ready to use your starch but be aware that the mixture could separate a little when not in use so be on the safe side and shake the spray bottle before each use. Then lightly spray the starch onto the clothes before ironing. A brief spritz should be all you need since a little starch will go a long way.
You can make laundry spray starch at home for a few dollars. A box of cornstarch can last years when a new batch of spray starch is made every few months. Follow these steps to create your own laundry starch and keep harmful chemicals out of your laundry.