Oftentimes, wax is the main product used to keep wooden floors shiny, but wax is slippery and can cause accidents when people haven’t been forewarned that you have been waxing your floor. Is there a non-slip wooden floor wax? Actually there is and the best thing about it is that you can actually make it yourself with a little patience and investment of time plus a short trip to your drugstore or chemist store and even in your local grocery stores.
Below is how you can make your very own non-slip wax to make your wooden floors more beautiful and shiny without the slip.
You will need the following:
- 2 tablespoons of turpentine
- 1 cup flammable Orange Shellac
- 2 tablespoons of Acacia
- 2 cups flammable alcohol (denatured)
You will also need the following tools to help you in your endeavor. You will need a pair of rubber gloves, a stirring stick, a cloth mop and a small bucket or pail where you will be mixing your chemical substances to create your wax.
- Ready your utensils. Get your pail/bucket, put on your gloves and get your stirring stick.
- Add your 2 cups of denatured alcohol, which you can find in your local stores, into your bucket and handle this ingredient with caution. This is easily flammable so you might want to proceed with care when you are making the wax.
- Next, add in a cup of the Shellac. Orange Shellac can be bought from your local hardware or paint shops.
- Then, add the 2 tablespoons of acacia. Acacia is actually gum that is taken from trees. You can buy them in chemical supply shops or at your local drugstores.
- Add your turpentine then be sure to stir everything well together. Exercise caution when handling the mixture as you are dealing with chemicals here.
- After you have thoroughly mixed everything well, you can now apply your homemade wax to your wooden floors with your cloth mop.
Also do take note that you have to keep in mind some tips before you try and do this by yourself at home.
- Make sure that the area where you are making the wax will not have any open flames anytime soon around your chemical products and around the finished mixture of wax.
- If you are a smoker, do not smoke anytime soon while you are making the product.
- Do not forget to put on your gloves and facemask before you start making the wax.
- Check to see if your mixing area has good ventilation so as to prevent you from inhaling fumes from the wax that you are mixing.
- Do not mix together wax finishes and polyurethanes.
Be very careful when you are making this wax because you are dealing with chemicals here that might in one way or another be harmful to your health so it is important to exercise all the safety measures that this article provides you with. Take extra precaution and tell your kids, if you have any, to stay away from your work area while you are creating the wax.