Saddle soap is a cleaning agent that is used for leather footwear. The ingredients for the saddle soap help in keeping the leather clean and in good condition. If you own expensive leather shoes or boots, you must use saddle soap and not any other type of cleaning agent so that your shoes will last longer. Making your own saddle soap is cheaper than purchasing commercial ones. Learn how to make saddle soap by reading these instructions.
- Ingredients that you need. The ingredients that you need are water, soap flakes, paraffin wax and neat’s foot oil. You can purchase these ingredients from online specialty stores. You can also substitute beeswax for the paraffin wax.
- Measure the ingredients. Measure the ingredients first before starting. You need 3 ½ cups of water, ¼ cup of neat’s foot oil, half a cup of paraffin and ¾ cup of soap flakes.
- Melt the soap flakes. Get a metal sauce pan and add the water. Bring the water to a boil and then adjust to low heat. Add the soap flakes to the water and use a metal spoon to stir it in the water. Cook until all the soap flakes are completely melted.
- Melt the paraffin. Prepare a double boiler. Add the paraffin wax and the neat’s foot oil. Mix the ingredients well until they are melted.
- Combine the ingredients. Add the paraffin mixture from the double boiler to the soap mixture in the sauce pan. Use low heat and wait for the mixture to have a thick consistency. This should take a few minutes.
- Prepare the saddle soap. Once the mixture is thick, turn off the stove and allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes. Prepare wide-mouthed jars. Pour the mixture in the jar and close with an airtight lid. Store the saddle soap in a cool and dry place. The saddle soap will last for years.
- Using the saddle soap. To use saddle soap, prepare 2 cloths. Wet one of the cloths and then wring it out to remove the excess water. Use the damp cloth and dip it in the saddle soap. Shine your leather shoes using the cloth. When you do this, it is best to use a circular motion. After applying the saddle soap, use the other cloth to buff the leather for a lasting shine.
These are the easy steps on how you can make your own saddle soap. This recipe for saddle soap is best to use for dark leather. If you own light colored leather shoes, it is advisable to test the saddle soap on a small portion first since some types of leather tend to get darker in color when cleaned with the saddle soap. To keep your leather shoes in good condition for a long time, make it a point to clean it after using. You can use a cloth to wipe the shoes and use the saddle soap when it loses its shine. Keep the shoes in a cool dry place when you are not going to use them.