Salt crystals are attractive. Hence, they make a great decoration at home, in the office, or in any other room. The good news for you is that it is very easy to make salt crystals by using either the regular table salt or Epsom salt. Plus, you can make different shapes, sizes, and colors depending on your preferences. So get yourself ready and start making salt crystals. Read on and find out how you can make some:
- Boil some water for the salt crystal project. Get a cup of water and bring it to a boil. Then, transfer the boiling water in a glass jar.
- Pour in the salt into the boiling water. For this project, you need half a cup of table salt. However, do not add all the salt at once. Instead, add one teaspoon of salt at a time. Stir the water as you go on adding the salt. Continue the stirring process until such time that the salt is not anymore dissolving and is just collecting at the jar's bottom.
- Color the salted water of a shade of your choice. Choose whatever color you wish your crystals to appear. Add around two droplets of food coloring to the water. Stir the salted water until the color mixes in completely. If you want to make different colors of salt crystals, prepare different jars for this purpose.
- Setup a pencil and a string over the glass jar. Get a string and tie one of its ends at the middle of the pencil. Tie a small paper clip at the other end of the string. Position the pencil horizontally over the glass jar and make sure the string is hanging down the salted water but the paper clip must be just almost touching the jar's bottom.
- Keep the jar undisturbed for a day or so. Leave the jar in that setup in a place where it will not be disturbed. Get back to the glass after 24 hours or so. You will see crystals forming on the clip. Take the crystals out and set them aside.
- Make salt crystals out of Epsom salt. Repeat the first two steps only that you use Epsom salt instead of the regular table salt. Use a glass bowl also and not a jar.
- Decide on the color of the crystals. When you have a color in mind, drop some food color on two separate charcoal briquettes. Then, place the charcoal at the bottom of the glass bowl.
- Allow the crystal to form after a few days. Place the bowl in place where it will not be disturbed. Go back to the bowl after five days and you will see crystals that are forming. The crystals will be shaped like a prism.
Salt crystals are very easy to make though it can take a while before
you see crystals forming from your project. However, when the crystals
start to be visible, all your efforts will be worth it. The salt
crystals are great for decorating purposes and so as for gifting
purposes. Your friends will appreciate these crystals especially if you
have prepared these crystals using some of your imagination and