Table covers are essentially doilies. You place these on top of tables as a decorative element. Flower vases usually sit on top of table covers. You can create unique table covers using muslin and extra pieces of fabric.
- Muslin fabric
- Extra fabrics (remnants from other sewing projects)
- Iron-on interfacing
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine
- Ironing board
- Round pattern - circular tray, pizza pan or round board
Once you've gathered the materials, follow these steps:
- Step 1 Trace the round pattern on the muslin. Cut around the pattern. Make two of these round muslin. Make sure you end up with two equal sized circular muslin pieces.
- Step 2 Sew the two round pieces of muslin together using your sewing machine. A zigzag stitch should do.
- Step 3 Choose a fabric for the table cover backing. Trace the round pattern on this and cut it out. Set the piece aside.
- Step 4 Decide on how to arrange the extra fabrics you have. Place the different fabrics on top of the muslin. See how you want the fabrics to be laid out. If necessary, cut the fabrics into sections or smaller pieces. You can also fold the extra fabrics by hand just to get an idea how these will look on top of the table cover. Use straight pins to pin the extra fabrics on the muslin just to see how it will look.
- Step 5 Starting with the topmost fabrics, use straight pins to pin two extra fabrics together to the muslin. Sew together two pieces at a time. Make sure the seams are straight and you are sewing on the right side.
- Step 6 Use your iron and ironing board to set the seams of the extra fabrics that you stitched together. Turn the fabric on the wrong side. Iron each seam to one side. Make sure to press firmly on the seams. Turn the fabric over to the right side and press on the seam firmly.
- Step 7 Repeat steps 5 and six until you have sewn all the extra fabric together. The sewn fabrics should be neatly pressed. Lay this over the muslin and pin it in place.
- Step 8 Attach the table cover and the muslin together. Lay the sewn fabrics on their right side. Place the round muslin fabric on top so you can see the round pattern. Begin sewing the edges of the two fabrics using your sewing machine. Cut out any extra fabric using your scissors or pinking shears along the edge of the round muslin.
- Step 9 Embroider the seams along the extra fabrics you attached together on top of the table cover. Sew by hand or using the sewing machine if your machine can embroider. Embroidering adds detail to the cover.
- Step 10 Measure and cut an iron-on interfacing for the back of the table cover. Iron this in place on the back cover. This secures your stitches as well as stabilizes the different fabrics you used.
- Step 11 Pin together the right side of the front of the table cover to the back cover. Sew the two together. Leave about a 4” opening. Flip the sewn table cover so the right side comes out. Use a slip stitch to sew the 4” opening. Iron the table cover and you are done!
This unique table cover is a hodgepodge of extra fabric. You can mix
cotton, denim, vinyl, velvet and other types of fabric. Be creative.
Make some for your home or give unique table covers as gifts to family