Air fresheners provide a pleasurable scent, creating a relaxing ambience. If you often purchase air fresheners from the store, you know that it is an extra expense…more a want than a need.
To save on your grocery bill and at the same time have an air freshener that is chemical free, all you need to do is create your own. Air fresheners are easy to make with the use of gelatin. Children can even join in the fun of concocting different fragrances.
- 4 sachets of unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups distilled water (1 cup at room temperature and the other 1 cup should be cold)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- Essential oils of your choice or any fragrance like lavender, lemon, or eucalyptus
- Food coloring of your choice
- Glass or plastic containers for the gelatin air fresheners (size will depend on where you will put the air fresheners); baby food jars with covers are great to use
- Small saucepan
- Small bowl
- Plastic wrap
- Pour a cup of distilled water in a saucepan. Add the two tablespoons of salt.
- Using a medicine dropper, place a few drops of food coloring into the mixture. Add as much or as little of the food coloring depending on your desired color. If you choose not to add any food coloring, you will have a clear gel.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then remove from the stove.
- Place the 4 sachets of unflavored gelatin into a small bowl.
- Add the remaining one cup of cold distilled water.
- Add the two mixtures together.
- Fix the color of the mixture to your liking by adding more food coloring.
- Stir well until the gelatin completely dissolves.
- Add a few drops of the essential oils of your choice. Adjust according to the scent you prefer. Mix well.
- Place the gelatin mixture in different containers. The gelatin mixture will turn from cloudy to clear.
- Leave the gelatin mixture out at room temperature until it sets (overnight is preferable). However, if you need the gelatin mixture to set faster, you can place it in the refrigerator. Keep in mind though that your fridge will absorb the smell of the gelatin mixture.
- Cover the container with the plastic wrap or bottle/container cover once the gelatin mixture sets to preserve the scent.
- Store the air fresheners at room temperature.
- To release the scent, remove the plastic wrap.
- Place the gelatin mixture in cute containers or small jars, cover with plastic wrap and add a ribbon for a more decorative look.
- You can add fake flowers, dried flowers, herbs or potpourri if you plan to give it as a gift.
- Insert these into the container. Other interesting materials you can add are: marbles or glass beads, metal charms, small plastic toys, sea shells, and little hearts or other holiday knick knacks
- Never add fresh flowers because these can attract molds.
- Decorate the outside of the container with beads, colorful ribbons and stickers.
Making your own gel air freshener is a cinch! It is an environment friendly alternative to regular air fresheners. It makes for a wonderful craft activity that you can enjoy doing with friends and family. Homemade gel air fresheners make great gifts, too! Just put on your creative hat and have fun with this great Making your own gel air freshener is a cinch! It is an environment friendly alternative to regular air fresheners. It makes for a wonderful craft activity that you can enjoy doing with friends and family. Homemade gel air fresheners make great gifts, too! Just put on your creative hat and have fun with this great do-it-yourself project.