Giving your kitchen a makeover will add value to your home plus contribute to your overall sense of well-being. Aside from the bathroom, it is the most commonly used space in the home where all family members eventually come together.
The extent of your makeover will depend on your budget and how much you are willing to do. If you can afford it, then go for the entire renovation including new countertops, floors and appliances. If money is tight but you want to give your kitchen a fresh look, here are some basic home improvements you can undertake.
- Check home decorating magazines, browse online sites or watch home improvement shows to get ideas for your kitchen. You may decide on a new color theme or a particular feel to your new kitchen.
- Painting is the cheapest, quickest and most dramatic way to change the look of any room. Give you walls a new coat and you’ll be surprised how different your kitchen will feel. You can include the ceiling to hide any water stains or smoke stains as well.
- Change the hardware. Changing the handles of kitchen cabinets can surprisingly update the look of your kitchen without spending a lot of time or money.
- Paint the cabinets. If you cannot afford new cabinets, just paint over the old ones. It will make your kitchen look cleaner and brighter.
- Install pull out shelves in your cabinets. Newer homes have pull out cabinets that allow you to avail of the space and reach the farthest corners in your cabinets. This is a convenient and practical feature in newer kitchens. Check hardware stores for a quotation.
- Try stenciling. If painting entire cabinets is too costly for you, you may just do some stenciling on certain portions of your walls and cabinet doors. This is a creative way to personalize a space. Try stenciling the backsplash or your sink or stove.
- Update your faucet fixtures. Another quick fix to update your kitchen is changing your faucet fixture. You don’t need to change the sink bowl if it is fine or you cannot afford it. Installing a new faucet fixture will modernize your kitchen easily.
- Don’t forget your lighting fixture. Another easy update is just by changing your lighting fixtures. You don’t even need an electrician unless you are getting new wiring made. You can install under the counter lighting to provide better illumination and give your kitchen a more modern feel.
- Go for new appliances. Consider this an investment as it will add value to your home, plus you will enjoy using it as long as you are in your home. New appliances are also more energy efficient and part of the cost can be written off in your tax returns.
These are just some of the ways you can do to make your old kitchen feel like new. They are easily done in one weekend and allow you to enjoy your refreshed kitchen for many years to come!