Outdoor wicker furniture is inexpensive, practical, functional and beautiful. Placing it on your patio, deck or porch allows you to enjoy your garden without having to worry about its ability to withstand the elements. Your wicker furniture can look worn out after a while, but there are some things you can do to make it look refreshed and new again.
Here’s how to makeover your outdoor wicker furniture.
1. Take out any cushions from your furniture. If your wicker table has a glass top, set the glass top aside.
2. Clean the furniture thoroughly to rid it of dust and dirt that may have settled in the weaves. Vacuum and wipe down the furniture first. Next, mix a cap of bleach into a bucket of warm water and scrub it gently on to the wicker. Do not use detergent to clean your wicker furniture. Do not saturate it in water either. Just rub it with a damp cloth and make sure you get all the visible dirt out.
3. Use a fine grit sandpaper to give the surface a quick rub. You don’t want to damage your wicker. You just want to even out the surface and take away any stubborn dirt or peeling paint.
4. Dry the furniture thoroughly before painting. You may put it out in the sun to speed up the process.
5. You will need to use spray paint to make sure you coat your wicket furniture evenly. Get a can of oil based primer in white to spray your furniture with. The primer will protect the wicker from the topcoat and allow the paint to adhere to the surface better. Specify at the hardware store that you will use the paint for your wicker furniture.
Do this in a well-ventilated space, preferably outdoors. Choose a day that is not so windy so your spray doesn’t get all over the place. Cover the floor with newspapers and set your furniture on it. Allow the primer to dry before spraying on your topcoat.
6. When the primer is dry, you may now spray on your topcoat. Choose an oil-based spray paint. You will need to spray more that one layer to get full coverage. Wait for the first layer to dry before applying your second coat.
7. If you want to decorate your wicker chairs, you may spray paint stencil designs on them. Check for patterns that you like and transfer it to crafts foam. You may now spray on the design with your desired color. Do not spray too much paint or it will drip down and ruin your stencil design. Keep in mind your hands need to be steady.
8. Reupholster the cushion fabric. Choose new prints or colors to update the look of your furniture. Make sure the fabric is durable, and can withstand constant exposure to sun. If the fabric is not waterproof, spray it with a silicone protectant that will help make it water resistant.
Following the aforementioned steps will help your outdoor patio furniture look good as new! So go ahead and enjoy!