Polythene bags are also called poly bags and are usually used as plastic shopping bags, resealable bags or black trash bags. Polythene bags are moisture resistant, tough and have the ability to withstand extreme temperatures. Some companies have recycled them to become handle bags, zipper bags, and even environmental friendly bags.
Polythene bags can be recycled and made into various products like new bags and other useful durable items like plastic lumber for waste receptacles, park benches, decking, and picnic tables. Most of the collected recycled plastic shopping bags are made into composite lumber boards.
For home use, you can reuse or recycle your polythene plastic shopping bags as:
- Trash bags for kitchen clean-ups. The skin peeling of fruits and vegetables can be tossed directly into a used polythene bag instead of the sink or a chopping board and thrown into the trash when done.
- Hand protectors like gloves to hold messy food, things or trash. After picking up the mess, turn the plastic inside out and dispose in the trash.
- Paint preservers to keep used rollers and brushes from drying out. The brushes or rollers can be placed inside the bags and wrapped or tied with bands to keep it moist and the air out.
- Shoe protectors tied over your shoes to keep your feet from leaving mud tracks in the house when you enter.
- Fillers for planters by using crumpled plastic bags to fill up large pots that are too deep for your plants. Less soil is needed since the plastic packs most of the space and it also becomes easier to move the big pots since it is lighter.
- Wrapping for gifts. Choose the most colorful bags with designs, and wrap your gift with at least three bags. Tie the handles in a knot, cut the top loops and fan out the top to make a flower design.
- Umbrella holders used to prevent water from dripping on the carpet or floor when you enter a house or building after coming from the rain.
Some companies like Bayard Packaging Ltd recycle polythene bags and sacks collected from various sources. For as long as the plastic you supply is made from polythene, and not other materials like nylon, polypropylene, cellophane, or other plastics, the company accepts the material for recycling.
You can just place the polythene bag to be recycled in an envelope and sent them to the company. The company requires that the polythene bags sent have no tape, paper, or food remnants for the bags to be accepted for recycling.
Exporters and large supermarkets that collect used plastic polythene plastic shopping bags, resealable bags, and handle bags from customers send the collected waste materials for recycling to a reprocessor in the United Kingdom. The plastic materials are separated into two kinds: clean plastic bags that may have been used as shrink wrap in transportation packaging, and the dirty plastics used as carrier bags, that may have been contaminated with black inks, sweet wrappers, and till receipts. The clean plastic materials are recycled into refuse sacks and the dirty plastic materials turned into damp proof large course materials for construction building.
Reuse and recycle to help save our environment.