Serving spoons have been in use for many centuries by many cultures. From the highest levels of society to the most common families, serving spoons have been on our dining tables to aid us in serving our meals. They are common kitchen and dining utensils and may come in various shapes, sizes and styles. However, serving spoons should not be overlooked when it comes to quality. The following is a list on how to select quality serving spoons.
- The quality of the material should be considered. Like most kitchen utensils, serving spoons may be made of steel, plastic and wood. It is wise to compare different materials used for manufacturing serving spoons before buying. For comparison: stainless steel serving spoons do not affect flavor, are hygienic and easy to wash, but easily conduct heat and scratch pots and pans; plastic serving spoons prevent scratches on pots and pans, but must not be in direct contact with heat for long periods; wooden serving spoons do not conduct heat, but they are not hygienic because wood becomes porous over time, thus leaving food residues.
- The serving spoon should be neat. Serving spoons should have an unblemished surface and a smooth polished look. It is also better if the serving spoons are manufactured with a head and handle without joints. Joints, especially if they are welded, may cause rust and may leave food residue.
- The serving spoon should be durable. Choose a serving spoon that is not easily bent, broken and twisted. Serving spoons that are solid are more reliable and last longer. A serving spoon must also be resistant to heat. Plastic serving spoons should be resistant on heat of at least 210 degrees centigrade. The serving spoon must also be resistant to corrosion. Everybody wants a rust free stainless steel serving spoon in his or her kitchen.
- The serving spoon should be ergonomically designed. Ergonomics dictates that the design of the serving spoon should follow the contour of a human hand. The serving spoon should also be light. The design of the head should also be ergonomically designed to allow the user to get hold of more food per dip.
- The serving spoon should be dishwasher proof. Steel serving spoons are fine when it comes to dishwashers. Wooden serving spoons should be washed only by hand, because they swell in dishwashers.
- Most of all, serving spoons should not affect the quality of food. The material in making serving spoons should not affect the food’s odor and flavor. It must not degrade the quality of the food while cooking and while serving.
Using serving spoons shows ones refinement when it comes to cooking, serving and dining. A serving spoon may also be a symbol of nourishment. Non-profit organization feeding programs use serving spoons as a symbol. Truly, serving spoons should not be disregarded when it comes to quality. It plays a vital role in our society, in our kitchen and on our dining tables.