A leaking roof is a real pain in the neck especially when it rains and it starts to wet your things inside the house. It is something that is very annoying and can cause so much of hassle! There are a whole bunch of reasons why a roof would leak. It could be due to aging, making your roof very brittle, poorly constructed valleys (in between shingles), incorrect patched leaks made by previous tenants, rusts, algae, etc. One thing is for sure, the only way for it to stop leaking is to repair it! Read on to learn more.
1. Locate the leakage. Immediately look for the precise location of the leakage on your roof. The best way to do this is to take assess the structure of your house. Take mental note where the leaks manifested. For example, if you find leakage on your bedroom, determine the part of your roof that covers your quarters. This is very important so that you will not be clueless when you try looking for it on top of your roof. This will save you a lot of time and effort as well.
2. Prepare the materials. You will be needing the following:
- Roof Sealant (preferably Tri Polymer)
- Sturdy and stable ladder (for you to reach the roof safely)
- Rubber shoes (to prevent you from slipping while climbing and while on the roof)
These are the things that you should get before you start fixing your roof leaks. You can easily acquire the sealant at any hardware store near your area while you can conveniently obtain the rest of the materials in your home.
3. Assess the weather. The weather is a very important factor when you want to repair your roof leaks. You cannot by any circumstances try to fix it on a rainy day. A dry and sunny day is the perfect weather for you to go to the roof without jeopardizing your safety.
4. Up on the roof you go! Get a bag where you can put all your tools. Both of your hands should be free for climbing so it should be a bag where you can easily sling over to your shoulders or waist (like a belt bag or body bag). Carefully situate your ladder on a flat ground and climb up.
5. Start repairing. Immediately go to the exact location of the leakage and start sealing the hole using your Tri Polymer Sealant. Be very generous and make sure you spread it evenly. Make it as flat as possible. You will need to let it dry under the sun for two days.
These are the things that you should do to stop your roof from leaking continuously. Just follow these very effective steps and you will soon be happily living in a house that is leak-free! No more wet furniture and sloshes of big container to catch water drops. Just remember, it is very important that you do everything properly and slowly so as not to miss any holes. Be very careful especially when you are climbing up and down the ladder. Always wear rubber shoes to keep your feet firmly planted against the roof. This will prevent you from slipping. Good luck!