There is no doubt that white paint speaks more than being a neutral color. No matter where you paint it, it gives off a dazzling and brilliant appeal not to mention that it creates a lot of drama. However, if instances tell you that the white paint appears too bright for you, you can tone it down a bit or even a lot. This will result in giving you an off-white color, which lessens the brilliance but increases the drama of the real color.
The good news for you is that even if you have already purchased a can of white paint, it is not too late yet to give it an off-white color. There are a lot of ways on how you can effectively tone it down to your desired shade. Here, check out these steps in turning your white paint into an off-white one:
- Prepare dark stains. Turning a white paint into an off-white one is as simple as adding some dark stains into it. Therefore, decide on what kind of stain you wish to add on your white paint. The easiest and most convenient to use is a brown paint. The type and kind of brown paint to use does not matter here. In fact, even your daughter's finger paints can do the trick here. Same is true for your old dark stains in your garage.
- Consider old fashioned ways. An off-white finish can also be achieved using traditional ways such as adding coffee or tea. To prepare coffee, brew around five tablespoons into one-fourth cup water. Before it can be used, let this coffee solution set for around three hours. On the other hand, to prepare tea, you simply place a teabag in hot water for several minutes.
- Add the dark stain. Pour in a few drops of your prepared brown paint, coffee, or tea into the can of white paint. In cases of tea, squeeze the teabag into the can to let go of a few drops.
- Stir the paint. Once your preferred dark stain is poured in, stir the paint carefully and efficiently. Make sure that the dark stain blends well enough with the white paint.
- Repeat the process. If you are not satisfied with the color after the first try, repeat Steps 3 and 4. Repeat these steps as many times as you wish to achieve your preferred off-white finish. If you are using tea, make sure to place the teabag into hot water in between squeezing it into the can of white paint.
With this, you are now ready to paint whatever your project is with an off-white color. It is good to know that it requires no magic to tone down the shade of a bright white paint. Doing this is as simple as adding a darker stain into the paint little by little to transform it into an off-white shade that you wish to have. Hence, anyone can do wonders for their white paint, even you who have no experience in mixing paints before.