If you bought a new refrigerator and the ice maker was not installed, you can install it yourself. It is easy to install the ice maker, especially if you have an instruction manual that came with the unit. Check the instruction manual first and familiarize yourself with the different parts of the ice maker. Also, check if all the parts of the ice maker are complete.
Here are the steps on how you can install an ice maker by yourself:
- Preparation. Installation of the ice maker should be done when the refrigerator unit is turned off. Different refrigerators may have common ice maker installation instructions. Whether your unit is a Maytag refrigerator or Frigidaire, you will find that the ice makers can be installed in the same manner. Remove the plug or cork that covers the holes where you will install the ice maker. At the back of the refrigerator, locate a patch or a sticker that covers the hole for the ice maker’s tube. Pull out the tube.
- Wiring Connection. Look for the wiring connection point in the refrigerator. Look for the wiring harness. This can be found inside the sticker that you peeled off. You will have to connect the wiring harness to the wiring harness of the ice maker. This is easy to do as you fill find that the two ends fit together. Make sure that the two ends are locked.
- Installing the Ice Maker. Once the harnesses are locked, you can install the ice maker inside the freezer. You will need a screwdriver to install the ice maker. Put the ice maker inside the freezer and make sure that the holes are aligned so that you can screw the ice maker in. Tighten the screws until the ice maker is secure. Put the ice maker tray under the ice maker.
- Water Tubing. Put the water filter tube inside the hole that you uncovered at the back of the refrigerator. Make sure that the tube is locked in place. There are locking clips that come with the tube. You have to make sure that these clips are secure. The next thing you have to do is to install the foam tube over the fill tube.
- Fill Tube. Screw the plastic tubing to the fill tube. After this, connect the hose clamps at the back of the refrigerator. Stick them to the refrigerator in such a way that it reaches the bottom of the refrigerator. Make sure that everything is attached securely.
- Wiring. Locate the wiring harness at the bottom of the refrigerator. Plug the water valve connection to the wiring harness. After this, expose the compressor of the refrigerator. Install the water valve and screw the cover back on. Turn on the water so that the valve can be filled. Turn on the refrigerator and test to see if you have installed the ice maker correctly. Also, check for any signs of leaks so that you won’t have any problems.
These are the steps on how you can install an ice maker by yourself. If the steps are different, you can always consult the manual that came with the refrigerator that you bought. You can also search for online support from the official website of the manufacturer of your refrigerator.