The installation of metal roofing can be a simple project that is easily done by the homeowner. This will eliminate the problem of having to choose and decide on a professional service to do it for you. In the end this will lessen your out of pocket cost. Metal roofing is more expensive then the asphalt roofing so if you do it yourself you wonâ€™t have to worry about paying to have it installed as well. By following some simple concise steps, you will find yourself with results that befit a professional.
To begin with you are going to need to measure the height of your roof and add to that however much overhang you are planning. The average if two to four inches. Be sure to also measure the length. You are going to need to take these measurements with you to your local hardware store. Your retail provider will be able to supply you with what you need or order it if they donâ€™t already carry it.
- When you begin laying your roof, it is essential that you leave three to six inches of unblocked airflow between each layer. The type of paneling that you use will determine what type of lap screws you are going to need. R-panel metal roofing uses 5/16 lap screws while V-crimp metal roofing does not even require the use of lap screws. This is the easiest type of roofing to install.
- Before laying down the paneling, remove your old shingles and place down 30-pound tarpaper or roofing felt. This will be used as the base for your new paneling.
- However, if you are only placing one layer of paneling you can use what is called slat board. If this is used simply, secure the board to your old roof with three inch Philips screws and place the paneling on this. Next, you will put down your edging. This goes along the perimeter of the roof and is secured with 1 Â¼ inch roofing nails. You will use the Â¼-inch metal screws to affix the metal paneling to the wood board. You may need the help of a partner if your panels are longer than 12 feet. If they are less than this, you should be able to handle it yourself.
- On the first sheet that you lay down you are going to put wood screws in every two feet in the center and inside edge of the panel. The rest of panels will have wood screws placed every two feet across the length. The object is for each following sheet to overlap the last. This will continue until you reach the last sheet. On this sheet, you are going to need to measure the remaining extra space left over past the roof edge. You will then mark the row or ridge that is just pass the edge of the roof. With your tin snips cut along this row and screw down the remaining sheet. You then place on your metal strip, which will cover the sides of the roof at the edge. This metal strip will be bent over the edge of the roof.
- Put in your closures add your metal ridge and screw down the bottoms of your panels. This is it, a few simple steps to installing metal roofing on your own. In some instances, it is going to require you to hire professionals to install your metal roofing. If your roof is steep or otherwise prevents you from walking across it safely, it will be necessary for you to hire a professional. However, in most cases you can do this on your own and be quite successful at it.