The bedroom is the area of the house which should offer you a quiet place to retreat from the commotion of the day. It must be the most comfortable and cozy room in the house because it is the place where you retire at the end of the day. If your bedroom is not like this, then now is the occasion to convert it. Decorate your bedroom to show your personality.
Begin with three easy steps.
- Visualize and list down all the things or activities you wanted to do in your bedroom. You may be watching movies, knitting, reading, or writing in your diary.
- Gaze at your bedroom and determine whether all the activities that you would like to do can be accommodated.
- Lock in a color scheme.
Consider the following when you finally decide to convert your bedroom:
Part 1: Decorating rules can focus your planning
Plan your decoration carefully and consider the following:
- Sketch the floor plan and take it with you when you shop.
- Find out your individual style by reading periodicals, attending show houses, and browsing the internet.
- Distinguish the main points of the room; that is, where the bed should be located, the table, and so on.
- Pick one piece as the focal point of your room design. This could be a piece of pottery, a picture, an area rug, or a postcard. The item will be the starting point for the color scheme, style, and mood you would like to create.
- Synchronize your fabric choices before buying paint colors.
- Purchase large items first, i.e., furniture, drapes, and rugs; then coordinate the colors of smaller pieces with the exact colors and style of the larger items.
- Consider the uses and purpose of your room before buying furnishings.
- Use the rule of duplication when planning colors, shapes, fabrics and patterns.
- Procure the best quality furnishings you can afford.
Part 2: Focus Your Project
- Use contrasting colors to add attention to a space.
- Add coherence your bedroom by repeating fabrics, colors, and themes.
- Balance a bedroom’s decoration by placing a similar scale and visual weight on the opposite.
- Choose accessories which strengthen the style and color theme of the bedroom.
- Use pairs of items to emphasize evenness and stability.
- Use odd numbers of items when combining accents – high, medium, low – to add interest.
Part 3: Decorating Don'ts
- Don’t let anybody make your choices for you. Ask for suggestions but make the decisions.
- Don’t paint until you choose the upholstery, fabric and carpet.
- Don't make your perferred color the main color. A subtle shade will let your favorite color shine.
- Don’t build barriers. Leave room for easy movement.
- Don’t settle for cheap - using high-quality materials from the start will pay off in the long run.
- Don’t keep incompatible furniture.
- Don’t allow anything ugly anywhere in your bedroom.
Decorating is enjoyable. Decorating mistakes can be avoided. Keep in mind that you have a home, which you love to come home to. You will spend money and time but this investment will pay off in the future. Redecorating your bedroom will give you a bit more joy and will make you a little happier overall.